Undergraduate Publication Incentive Award
What is it?
A financial award made to primary supervisors who are listed as co-authors on publications in accredited, peer-reviewed journals with co-author undergraduate students, whose research they have supervised as part of the students' registered degrees in the Faculty of Medicine & Health Sciences (FMHS).
What is the amount awarded?
Awards of R10,000 per qualifying publication will be made to primary supervisors who are co-authors on undergraduate publications. This award is to be directed toward undergraduate research within the relevant division or department.
Who is eligible?
FMHS personnel who are both a co-author on a DHET-accredited, peer reviewed publication AND primary supervisor of an undergraduate student, the latter being listed as a co-author of the accredited published paper which resulted from an undergraduate research project.
How do I apply?
- Complete the latest version of the application form (UPI-08-2015).
- Attach the required supporting documents (ethics approval letter, proof of acceptance of paper, published version of paper).
- Submit one hard copy and one electronic copy to Debbie Marais (firstname.lastname@example.org) at the Undergraduate Research Office in the Research Development & Support Division, Tygerberg.
How are awards made?
Only typed, complete applications, using the most recent application form, will be considered. Awards will be made:
- according to the fund rules and guidelines,
- based on available budget.
What is the application deadline?
The first call for applications for opens in April each year, with a deadline of 1 May. The second call for applications opens in September, with a deadline of 1 October.
Who can I contact for further information?
For funding rules and guidelines, as well as application forms, contact Debbie Marais, Head: Undergraduate Research, Research Development & Support Division, Faculty of Medicine & Health Sciences. Email: email@example.com. Tel: 021 938 9181.