The Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences will be hosting the 61st Annual Academic Day on Wednesday 30 August 2017 and it promises to be an exciting programme and will serve as a showcase for the latest research by under- and postgraduate students and researchers of the Tygerberg Campus.
Seven different parallel sessions under the following 7 themes will take place in separate lecture theaters in the Faculty on this day:
- Infectious Diseases
- Non-communicable Diseases
- Mental Health and Neurosciences
- Violence, Injuries, Trauma and Rehabilitation
- Maternal and Child Health
- Health Systems Strengthening, and
- Perioperative Sciences
We hope that these themes will ensure that researchers from across disciplinary borders come together to discuss important issues around a central health question of great importance to South Africa and the rest of the world. These seven themes correspond to not only the strongest research areas in the Faculty, but also aligns with the priorities of the National Department of Health's so-called 'quadruple burden of disease', i.e. the groups of conditions that contribute most to morbidity and mortality in South Africa, and other areas of importance for our country.
- The poster sessions are also grouped under these seven larger themes. Posters will already be available for viewing on the day before the event (29 August). Judging of the posters will take place on the morning of the 30th of August.
- All seven sessions will include State-of-the-Art lectures (including the AJ Brink State-of-the-Art Presentation) by experts from the various themes
- The Dean will deliver his address and an external speaker (name will be confirmed) will present the guest lecture.
It is essential that practitioners be kept up to date on available products and services of the pharmaceutical industry and other medical related companies, therefore relevant companies will have the opportunity to exhibit their products in the hallway to the lecture rooms for the duration of the day.
We invite each and everyone to join us at yet another outstanding event on the calendar of the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences at Tygerberg.
We look forward to seeing you all there!