Undergraduate Publication Incentive Award
What is it?
A financial award made to primary supervisors who are listed as co-authors on publications in accredited, peer-reviewed journals with co-author undergraduate students, whose research they have supervised as part of the students' registered degrees in the Faculty of Medicine & Health Sciences (FMHS).
What is the amount awarded?
Awards of R10,000 per qualifying publication will be made to primary supervisors who are co-authors on undergraduate publications. This award is to be directed toward undergraduate research within the relevant division or department.
Who is eligible?
FMHS personnel who are both a co-author on a DHET-accredited, peer reviewed publication AND primary supervisor of an undergraduate student, the latter being listed as a co-author of the accredited published paper which resulted from an undergraduate research project.
How do I apply?
- Complete the latest version of the online application e-form (UPI-02-2019). Hard copy applications are not permitted.
- Attach the required supporting documents (ethics approval letter, proof of acceptance of paper, published version of paper).
- Submit the completed online application form and published paper at any time during the year; all applications will be considered once per year, between 1 May and 30 May, and applicants will be notified of the outcome thereafter.
How are awards made?
Only complete, online applications, using the most recent application e-form, will be considered. Awards will be made:
- according to the fund rules and guidelines,
- based on available budget.
What is the application deadline?
Applications can be submitted at any time during the year. ALL applications will be reviewed between 1 May and 30 May each year. Applicants will be notified of the outcome thereafter.
Who can I contact for further information?
For funding rules and guidelines, as well as application forms, contact Dr Debbie Marais, Head: Undergraduate Research Office, Research Development & Support Division, Faculty of Medicine & Health Sciences. Email: email@example.com. Tel: 021 938 9181.