The African Cancer Institute strives to engage fully in the core activities of research and development, teaching and training, service rendering and collaboration.
Its specific objectives are summarized as follows:
Research and development
The African Cancer Institute will focus on interdisciplinary and interprofessional research on cancer, with specific emphasis on:
- Epidemiology (adult and paediatric)
- Clinical research
- Preventive strategies
- Clinical trials (capacity building)
- Cancer registration in Africa
Teaching and training
A spectrum of training modalities will be provided by the African Cancer Institute, including, but not limited to:
- Training and mentoring researchers and research workers, nationally and internationally, through i.e. conferences, workshops, and short courses in cancer-related subjects.
- Provide and facilitate training in cancer epidemiology, cancer registration and clinical management through the maintenance of a comprehensive e-learning resource centre and other means.
Service to community
Service to community will include:
- Clinical service to the local hospitals (including training for professionals in Africa)
- Twinning programs
- Patient referral services in the country and in Africa
- Promotion of best practice approaches in diagnosis, treatment and care of cancer patients.
Collaboration and other
The African Cancer Institute will partner with other organizations and institutions, South African or international, which have overlapping or complementary interests and activities. These partnerships may entail:
- Joint conduct of projects. Partner organizations may contribute to different projects and programs of the African Cancer Institute, and vice versa.
- Other objectives, include project management (contracts, regulatory support, monitoring, coordination of projects and programs in African countries which need support, clinical trials, etc)