Roles and functions of ECs
Their specific roles and functions are:
- To provide a safe space where all voices will be listened to with empathy and understanding;
- To capture and report the evolving themes and other issues raised, anonymously, to the Dean;
- To offer recommendations when appropriate;
- To provide an opportunity and a space where students and staff can clarify their concerns, and consider various options to address those concerns where possible;
- To guide members of the Tygerberg community on where they can obtain further assistance from SU. The ECs will therefore also serve as a referral source.
- To mediate certain disputes or resolve conflicts, wherever appropriate to do so.
The ECs will be provided with access to a supportive structure and capacity building opportunities that will further enhance their ability to be genuine, non-judgemental and aware of their own prejudices, biases and other triggers.