Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology
Ultrasound Unit - Services
We perform approximately 1200 scans per month in the unit, of which about 60% are obstetric scans. In addition, approximately 400 patients receive their routine obstetric ultrasound examinations by sonography students of our team in a community-based ultrasound facility, approximately 5 miles from the hospital (Bishop Lavis Obstetric Unit).
We offer the following services:
- Early pregnancy assessment
- Routine 11-14 weeks scan for dating, fetal detail and nuchal translucency screening
- Routine 18-23 weeks scan for dating and fetal detail
- Selective scanning for predefined obstetric and gynaecologic indications
- Genetic counseling for parents at high risk of aneuploidy or genetic syndromes, as well as parents of fetuses with ultrasonographically detected anomalies
- Multidisciplinary approach to fetuses with diagnosed anomalies
- Targeted assessment of women with gynaecological problems
- A variety of in utero procedures incl. amniocentesis, chorionic villus sampling, cordocentesis, laserablation of placental vessels, in utero transfusions intraperitoneal as well as intravascular, sonohysterography.