Department of Psychiatry
MPhil Community Mental Health
The program is aimed at any psychiatrist, doctor, social worker, psychologist or occupational therapist who may be interested in furthering their career in the public health sector. The curriculum is aimed at improving the clinical skills regarding all aspects of mental health care as well as expanding the students' understanding of the social and cultural aspects of mental illness and enhancing their skills in managing a public mental health service. Consistent with these aims, trainees are provided supervised clinical experiences and a didactic core and elective curriculum as well as a variety of assessment tools to evaluate competencies in these areas.
To be eligible for the program, you applicants should hold:
- MB,ChB degree or
- Master of Social Work/Clinical Psychology/Nursing/Occupational Therapy or
- MMed (Psych)/exit examination of the Colleges of Medicine of South Africa
- Registration as medical practitioner in the category independent practice/social worker/clinical psychologist/registered nurse/occupational therapist with the relevant professional council in South Africa.
Modules and credit values
- Ethics 872 (5)
- Research Methodology 871 (5)
- Community Mental Health 871 (55)
- Social Psychiatry 871 (5)
- Cultural Psychiatry 871 (5)
- Public Psychiatry 871 (5)
- Research Assignment 871 (60) *
- Community Psychology 871 (20)
- Psycho-social Rehabilitation 871 (20)
- Community Psychiatry 871 (20)
*The research assignment is completed over the course of the two years.
Programme coordinator: Prof S Seedat
Tel.: (021) 938 9116 E-mail: email@example.com