We currently offer the following two postgraduate programmes.
Masters in Physiotherapy
The aim of the M Physiotherapy (Thesis) programme is to:
- equip students with the necessary skills in order to undertake original, advanced and independent research in the field of Physiotherapy;
- prepare students for various forms of scientific professional communication; and
- produce professionals with the skills and critical cognitive capability to advance the profession and to contribute to a pool of professional and academic practitioners in the field of Physiotherapy.
- Two years (part-time) or one year (full-time).
- A four-year bachelor’s degree in Physiotherapy, or an equivalent qualification approved by Senate;
- Registration with the Health Professions Council of South Africa (HPCSA) – South African students;
- Registration with Professional Board of own country – International students.
» Click here for more information on the M Physioterapy (Thesis)
Doctor in Philosophy (PhD)
The PhD programme aims to provide:
- Appropriate professional development
- Sufficient general and applied knowledge
- The expertise to recognise problem areas and identify research topics
- Familiarity with specific research literature
- The ability to develop experimental protocols
- Technical-laboratory and/or clinical skills and/or public health skills, as appropriate to subject of study
- Sufficient communication skills (both oral and written)
- Three year duration (average time)
- Registration with Professional Boards as for Research Masters;
- Master’s degree (subject to senate approval);
- At least one publication or paper accepted/submitted to a peer-reviewed journal;
- Recommended: proof of attendance / completion of courses in Research Methodology / Epidemiology/Biostatistics, etc.
» Click here for more information on the PhD
Equipment / facilities available
At the Division of Physiotherapy, we currently offer postgraduate students access to the following equipment and facilities for research purposes:
- 3D motion analysis lab
- Portable motion analysis equipment
- Physiotherapy gym and gym equipment
- Diagnostic Ultrasound
- LODOX machine
- Virtual reality equipment
- Electrotherapy machines
- Electronic portable lung function equipment