Centre for Medical Ethics and Law
Postgraduate Education - Supervision of Postgraduate Students
PhD - Applied Ethics - University of Stellenbosch
Dissertation: Reviewing the theory and practice of professional nursing ethics education in Namibia and South Africa.
Candidate: Mrs E.J. de Villiers, Centre for Applied Ethics, Dept of Philosophy, University of Stellenbosch
PhD- Applied Ethics - University of Stellenbosch
Dissertation: Clinical ethics committees in South Africa: A critical appraisal of their role and functioning.
Candidate: Prof Sharon Kling, Centre for Applied Ethics, Dept of Philosophy, University of Stellenbosch
M Med (Plastic Surgery) - University of Stellenbosch
Thesis: Development of a Patient information Leaflet and Consent Form for Breast Reduction in Plastic Surgery in compliance with the National Health Act No 61 of 2003.
Candidate: Dr Liesl Du Toit, Dept of Plastic Surgery, University of Stellenbosch.
Postgraduate Diploma in Health Research Ethics:
- Candidiate:Dr Tyson Welzel, University of Stellenbosch. Topic: Data sharing in medical research: beliefs and opinions of researchers utilising a research ethics committee in the Western Cape, South Africa
- Candidate: Dr Sunita Potgieter, University of Stellenbosch. Topic: Issues in Public Health ethics: Advancing the public debate on the " low carbohydrate, high fat" dietary approach as a case study
- Candidate: Mr George Chingarande, University of Stellenbosch. Topic: a comparative analysis of the compensation for research related injury policies of Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa
Postgraduate Diploma in Health Research Ethics:
- Candidate: Advocate Jamwell Maswanganyi, University of Stellenbosch.Topics: Is the reseacrcher-participant relationship in clinical research a contractual relationship? 2012
- Candidate: Dr Geremew Tsegaye, University of Stellenbosch. Topic: Developing standard operating procedures for biobanking at a Research Ethics Committee in Ethopia2012
- Candidate: Dr Ronell Leech, University of Stellenbosch. Topic: Complexities in biological sample use in research: perspectives of REC members in Gauteng 2012
- Candidate: Sabina Luputa, University of Stellenbosch. Topic: Extrapolating principles of corporate governance to research ethics committees: perspectives from Zambia2012
- Candidate: Jane Nabbuto, University of Stellenbosch. Topic: Advancing the ethics/science debate:An analysis of decision letters issued by an institutional research ethics committee in Uganda 2012
- Candidate:Margaret Ellis, University of Stellenbosch. Topic: Pharmacogenetic informed consent: perspectives from participants at private clinical research sites in Gauteng, South Africa 2012
- Candidate: Dr Tina Malan, University of Stellenbosch. Topic: Phase 3 oncology trials in South Africa: experimentation or therapeutic misconception 2013
- Candidate: Dr Alwyn Mwinga, University of Stellenbosch; Topic: Engagement of communities and community advisory boards in clinal trials in Lusaka, Zambia: identification of best practices and lessons learned 2013
MPhil (Health Sciences Education) - University of Stellenbosch
Thesis: Teaching and assessment of clinical ethics and professionalism on ward rounds to undergraduate medical students at Stellenbosch University.
Candidate: Dr Louis Heyns, Dept of Paediatrics, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Stellenbsoch
Diploma in International Health Research Ethics - University of Cape Town
Practicum: Clinical Photography in Dentistry - Ethical Challenges
Candidate: Prof S. Naidoo, Dept of Community Dentistry, University of the Western Cape
Masters in Human Nutrition - University of Stellenbosch
Thesis: Knowledge, beliefs and practices of dieticians and doctors in South Africa on the use of the internet in healthcare - A pilot study
Candidate: Baheya Najaar. Dept of Human Nutrition, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Stellenbosch
Masters in Family Medicine - University of Stellenbosch
Thesis: Informed Consent - are patients adequately informed pre-operatively? Empirical research at a district hospital in Mpumalanga, South Africa.
Dr Clive Mogajane - Mfam Med student Dept of Family Medicine and Primary Care, School of Public Health, University of Stellenbosch. Student graduated Mar 2009.
Masters in Family Medicine (MFam Med) - University of Stellenbosch
Thesis:HIV/AIDS Awareness amongst Black South African patients attending a general practice in Guguletu, Western Cape, South Africa
Masters project of Dr C. F. Madikiza Dept of Family Medicine and Primary Care, School of Public Health, University of Stellenbosch. Student graduated 2003.
Diploma in Research Ethics - University of Cape Town
Thesis: IRB's Monitoring Function: Guidelines for monitoring of clinical research by an IRB
Professor Lesley Burgess - TREAD Research Unit, Tygerberg Hospital and University of Stellenbosch. Student graduated 2004
POSTGRADUATE EXTERNAL EXAMINER
- MPH thesis: "Stakeholder perceptions on the ethics of qualitative research in Ghana" - Prof Wassenaar - SARETI.(2009)
- MMedSc thesis: "Development of a pathology supported genetic test for improved clinical management of patients diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis"- Prof Kotze and Prof Janse van Rensburg, Dept of Chem Path.(2010)
- MPhil thesis: "Perception of research misconduct amongst obstetricians and gynaecologists in Nigeria"-Dr Theresa Rossouw, University of Pretoria (2011).