Centre for Student Leadership and Structures:
Frederik Van Zyl Slabbert Institute for Student Leadership Development
Position: FVZS Programme Coordinator
The Programme Coordinator, with guidance from the FVZS Programme Manager, will be responsible for the development, implementation and delivery of the leadership short courses and external programmes at the Frederik van Zyl Slabbert Institute for Student Leadership Development (FVZS). The Coordinator will also assist with the conceptualization and facilitation of the short courses, external programmes and critical engagement portfolio of the Institute. The programme coordinator should therefore have a strong understanding of the Higher Education sector in South Africa, curriculum design and should be able to engage critically on issues related to student leadership development within higher education as well as active citizenship in the broader context.
- Working with the FVZS team to implement the strategic vision and plan for student leadership learning and development programmes;
- Supporting and assisting the Programme Manager with:
- All current short course offerings and external programmes;
- The the curriculum design and development of new FVZS short courses and customised programmes that are reflective of and underpinned by the University’s vision 2040 (including the SunLearn platform for online modules);
- Course assessment instruments for the Institute;
- With the support of the Head: FVZS and in collaboration with the FVZS Research Officer and the FVZS Programme Administrator, coordinate workshops and discourses forming part of the FVZS Critical Engagement Portfolio which includes identifying possible speakers and programme facilitators;
- In collaboration with the FVZS Programme Manager, explore new short courses or programme opportunities in collaboration with other departments and student communities;
- Conduct individual and group meetings with course coordinators and student leaders as required by the FVZS Programme Manager;
- With the support of the FVZS Head, coordinate all documentation required for Co-Curriculum submissions and evaluations (e.g. Think Tank Programme);
- In collaboration with the FVZS Programme Administrator with guidance from the DSAf Marketing and Media Coordinator, provide content and updates for the FVZS social media platforms;
- Facilitation of training sessions as required;
- Attendance of conferences and learning opportunities as identified, to learn best practices;
- General team contribution as requested by the Head: FVZS.
- A Post Graduate degree , preferably within the Education discipline;
- Have proven experience and knowledge in curriculum design and curriculum development;
- Have proven experience and knowledge in facilitation and teaching;
- Proven participation within the student leadership space in Higher Education;
- Understand the FVZSI’s core focus, programmes and key critical engagement opportunities;
- Understand the changing context of Higher Education and its impact on the FVZSI offerings;
- Excellent communication and written skills in English;
- Excellent organizational and time management skills - must be able to coordinate and deliver on time;
- Attention to detail;
- Excellent project management skills, including effective delegation and communication to team members;
- The ability to work under pressure with multiple programmes running simultaneously;
- The ability to work in a team;
- Willingness to work flexible hours (after-hours and weekends as required).
period of employment
12 months, full-time fixed term contract (1 January 2020 – 31 December 2020)
Your application must comprise of a detailed two page curriculum vitae with references, highlighting your experience in curriculum development and a 300 word reflection on your understanding of leadership, and the role of leadership short courses/offerings in the holistic development of students in South Africa.
deadline: 30 october 2019
Applications close on
30 October 2019
Applications to be send electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org, Subject: FVZS Programme Coordinator
Enquiries regarding job content and remuneration: Spurgeon-Haddon Wilson (021 808 4987).