Stellenbosch University Co-curricular Support Fund (SUCSF)
All international passenger flights are currently prohibited except those flights authorised by the Minister of Transport for the repatriation of South African nationals from foreign countries and evacuation of foreign nationals from South Africa (Government Gazette 30th May, no. 43375).
Indications are that International Travel for Business Purposes will only resume under Level 1, therefore until such time as there is a change in national regulations regarding international travel for business purposes, the international travel ban applicable to SU staff and students is extended until 31 October 2020. It is therefore advised that staff and students should not register for any conferences abroad for the 2nd semester, nor commit to any international travel until there is more certainty about when SA will be moving towards Level 1.
Subsequently there will be no SU funding for in-person mobility for students during the second semester. For the latest updates,
Stellenbosch University's Co-curriculur Support Fund (SUCSF/USKOF) is administered by the Division Student Affairs and is a student travel bursary fund for national and international co-curricular events, such as student leadership conferences.
Am I eligible to apply for funding?
- Does the event have a co-curricular theme?
- Will I graduate within the minimum time of my programme, plus one year?
- If this is my first year at SU, have I successfully completed my first semester?
What can I use the fund for?
The fund can be used for the following expenses:
- Visa fees
- Conference fees
Please refer to the guidelines below for the full list of criteria.
background of uskof:
On the strength of a needs assessment done in 2011, it clearly appeared that several departments, divisions and centres of Stellenbosch University (SU) make funds available for supporting the co-curricular development of students. Mostly, these funds are made available and utilised for the following reasons:
- Students' attendance of and participation in national and international conferences falling outside the formal academic offering;
- Support for student initiatives on campus additional to the day-to-day activities of student structures for which there are existing budgets; and
- Support for Students' Representative Council's (SRC) initiatives linked to the above-mentioned, but also initiatives related to national and international co-curricular activities that are preferably not annual or repetitive events.
Funds are limited and available money must be managed, utilised and allocated responsibly so that it can have a greater and better effect on the student community of SU.
Therefore, it has been decided to establish a central fund in which existing SU funds can be pooled. The outcome of this fund will be that:
- more students are supported and that a greater and better effect is ensured;
- criteria are set according to which applications are assessed; and
- the application and utilisation of the funds by students are assessed by reporting and similar ways of feedback.
Based on this, it has been decided to establish the Stellenbosch University Co-curricular Support Fund (SUCSF/USKOF).
Students who wish to apply for funding at SUCSF/USKOF, should consult these documents:
The USKOF committee meets monthly on the following dates in 2020:
- Thursday, 6 February
- Thursday, 27 February
Thursday, 26 March
Wednesday, 22 April
Thursday, 28 May
Thursday, 25 June
Thursday, 30 July
Thursday, 27 August
Tuesday, 29 September
Thursday, 29 October
Thursday, 26 November
*The USKOF committee will not be meeting until such a time that SU's temporary travel ban has been lifted.
Please ensure that your application reaches us in time for one of the meetings, in order to be considered.
For more information, contact