The University has imposed a temporary ban on all international travel for staff and students. This ban also extends to international guests visiting the University. The travel embargo will be in place until 30 June 2020. Staff and students who are abroad at the moment will have to self-quarantine for a period of 14 days when they return. While the University cannot prohibit staff and students from traveling in their private capacity, we urge individuals to please act responsibly in making plans that involve international travel. On your return you will also be expected to self-quarantine for a period of 14 days. To limit the risk of the spread of COVID-19, staff and students who do contract the virus due to private travel, will not be allowed to return to work, class or a residence until they are medically fit to do so. For the latest updates, click here.
Stellenbosch University's Co-curriculur Support Fund (SUCSF/USKOF) is administered by the Division Student Affairs and is a student travel bursary fund for national and international co-curricular events, such as student leadership conferences.
Am I eligible to apply for funding?
- Does the event have a co-curricular theme?
- Will I graduate within the minimum time of my programme, plus one year?
- If this is my first year at SU, have I successfully completed my first semester?
What can I use the fund for?
The fund can be used for the following expenses:
- Visa fees
- Conference fees
Please refer to the guidelines below for the full list of criteria.
background of uskof:
On the strength of a needs assessment done in 2011, it clearly appeared that several departments, divisions and centres of Stellenbosch University (SU) make funds available for supporting the co-curricular development of students. Mostly, these funds are made available and utilised for the following reasons:
- Students' attendance of and participation in national and international conferences falling outside the formal academic offering;
- Support for student initiatives on campus additional to the day-to-day activities of student structures for which there are existing budgets; and
- Support for Students' Representative Council's (SRC) initiatives linked to the above-mentioned, but also initiatives related to national and international co-curricular activities that are preferably not annual or repetitive events.
Funds are limited and available money must be managed, utilised and allocated responsibly so that it can have a greater and better effect on the student community of SU.
Therefore, it has been decided to establish a central fund in which existing SU funds can be pooled. The outcome of this fund will be that:
- more students are supported and that a greater and better effect is ensured;
- criteria are set according to which applications are assessed; and
- the application and utilisation of the funds by students are assessed by reporting and similar ways of feedback.
Based on this, it has been decided to establish the Stellenbosch University Co-curricular Support Fund (SUCSF/USKOF).
Students who wish to apply for funding at SUCSF/USKOF, should consult these documents:
The USKOF committee meets monthly on the following dates in 2020:
- Thursday, 6 February
- Thursday, 27 February
Thursday, 26 March
Wednesday, 22 April
Thursday, 28 May
Thursday, 25 June
Thursday, 30 July
Thursday, 27 August
Tuesday, 29 September
Thursday, 29 October
Thursday, 26 November
*The USKOF committee will not be meeting until such a time that SU's temporary travel ban has been lifted.
Please ensure that your application reaches us in time for one of the meetings, in order to be considered.
For more information, contact