Our Centre for Student Counselling and Development (CSCD) has a dynamic, student-centred psychological development and support services for our students. Carefully selected specialists such as psychologists, psychiatrists, social workers and reading specialists are involved to meet the various needs of the university community.
The Centre, operated under the directorship of Dr Munita Dunn-Coetzee, consists of five units with each specialising in an aspect of student service delivery. These units are: the Equality Unit (EU),
Unit for Psychotherapeutic and Supportive Services (UPSS), Disability
Unit (DU), Unit for Graduant Career Services (UGCS) and the Unit for
Academic Counselling and Development (UACD).
Our motto is "Partners for Success!" and our variety of services can be very valuable to our students; therefore, becoming their partner for success! As part of our vision, we strive for our Centre to be approachable, inclusive and client-centred, with our values based on shared humanity and we aim to promote citizenship by facilitating wellness, personal agency and sustainable equity. Our mission is to provide our University community with psychological, developmental and support services, with the focus on critical engagement, advocacy, personal growth and graduateness. We have values of empathy, shared accountability, innovation, excellence and leadership in the service of others
Some of the services include:
- Work sessions on the development and optimisation of life skills (e.g. study skills and stress management);
- Academic/career counselling for students that are uncertain about their degree programme/module choices;
- Preparing students for future career choices, job searches and application process;
- Individual, professional and confidential assistance or psychotherapy for depression, high stress levels, substance abuse, relationship or family problems etc.;
- 24-hour crisis service;
- Support for students with special learning needs and other disabilities.
All facilitators are registered as professional practitioners with their respective boards and absolute confidentiality is guaranteed. All our support sessions are usually free of charge to registered student.
For more information, please visit our website by clicking here.