Division of Ophthalmology
Education - Specialist Training
PREREQUISITES FOR COMPLETION OF THE OPHTHALMOLOGY SPECIALIST TRAINING PROGRAM
- Part I of the MMed (Ophth) (US) or Part I of the FC Ophth (SA) from the College of Ophthalmologists of South Africa.
- MMed (Ophth) Intermediate - clinical and theoretical examination in Optics (including Orthoptics) and refraction.
- Part II of the MMed (Ophth) (US) or Part II of the FC Ophth (SA) from the College of Ophthalmologists of South Africa.
- Research driven thesis towards a Master's Degree in Ophthalmology.
- Satisfactory Clinical Portfolio and Surgical Logbook.
During the 4 year training period registrars- surgical proficiency, clinical insight and management strategies and academic progress are continuously assessed. A weekly MCQ test on a given topic is written by everyone. After the successful completion of the 4 year program the candidate is awarded the Master of Medicine degree in Ophthalmology from the University of Stellenbosch - MMed (Ophth) (US). The vast majority of candidates also obtain the Fellowship of the College of Ophthalmologists of South Africa - FC Ophth (SA).