SU International is delighted to invite SU academic and professional and support staff (PASS) to apply for the following international mobility opportunities. The call opens on 15 March 2022 and applications will close on 1 May 2022. Successful candidates will have 12 months after confirmation of award to implement mobility activities.
Applicants can apply for the INTERNATIONAL COLLABORATION & MOBILITY GRANT (IC&MG):
The grant provides funding for SU academic and PASS to strengthen collaboration with counterparts at any institutions abroad and makes provision for undertaking a visit to an institution or hosting a visitor. This call excludes mobility to African countries which is supported through the Africa Collaboration Grant (ACG). Grant allocations will be between R20 000 and R30 000 (made on a scale) to facilitate the mobility of staff through the IC&MG. Interested staff members are expected to make contact with possible host environments at the partner university directly to confirm the host and possible work plan before submitting an application to the IC&MG.
Although mobility to any institution abroad will be considered, the following institutional partners will receive preference in this round:
- Ghent University, BELGIUM
- KU Leuven, BELGIUM
- University of Helsinki, FINLAND
- University of Hamburg, GERMANY
- Leipzig University, GERMANY
- Humboldt University of Berlin, GERMANY
- TU Dresden, GERMANY
- University of Stuttgart, GERMANY
- University of Groningen, NETHERLANDS
- University of Ljubljana, SLOVENIA
- Lund University, SWEDEN
- Coventry University, UK
- University of Bath, UK
- North Carolina State University, USA
Mobility is also supported within our institutional international networks. The following networks will receive preference in this round for the listed opportunities:
Kindly see our networks page for additional opportunities funded through our networks directly.
Erasmus+ opportunities will be promoted on an ad hoc basis as they arise. Kindly contact Zanele Macingwana (firstname.lastname@example.org) in this regard.
Terms and conditions for IC&MG
- Only full-time academic and permanent PASS of Stellenbosch University are eligible to apply.
- A visit must comprise of at least 5 working days.
- An applicant will only be eligible to apply for the IC&MG every two years.
- The award of the grant will be made on a competitive basis. Applications are reviewed by an internal panel based on quality and potential impact of the visit. Preference will be given to first-time applicants, applicants that will foster new research collaborations and partnerships through their mobility and early career researchers who are still establishing their international academic networks.
- If more than one applicant from the same environment applies, only one grant will be awarded to that environment at the discretion of the SU International selection committee.
- The exchange opportunities cannot be used for the attendance of a conference/workshop/symposium or seminar only.
- The applicant must ensure that the application form is complete, with all the required documents included/attached. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- No travel arrangements should be made before confirmation from the SU International and the international exchange partner that the visit can proceed. SU International will not reimburse any costs incurred should the visit not proceed, and travel arrangements were already made.
- At the time of the call, information was correct, but may be subject to change.
- Deadlines should be strictly adhered to. Late applications will not be considered.
For more information on the institutions, IC&MG particulars, contact Lidia du Plessis, Senior Coordinator: Staff mobility (email@example.com).
 Funding for hosting a visitor will be restricted to the list of partners who are prioritized for this call and will also be aligned with the individual bilateral agreements in place where applicable.
 The structure of staff mobility with KU Leuven has changed. Outgoing SU staff can apply for travel support, but accommodation is no longer covered by KU Leuven unless the hosting faculty or department is able to provide accommodation. SU International can only offer a partial contribution towards hosting a visitor from KU Leuven.
 Applicants should also follow any application instructions as indicated on the network's page and may need to submit an application there in addition to the IC&MG application.