ELECTIONS BY THE CONVOCATION OF STELLENBOSCH UNIVERSITY OF:
1. THREE COUNCIL MEMBERS FOR THE TERM 2 APRIL 2018 TO 1 APRIL 2022
2. ONE COUNCIL MEMBER FOR THE TERM 2 APRIL 2018 TO 1 APRIL 2020
In accordance with par. 59 of the Statute of Stellenbosch University, members of the Convocation are hereby informed that the terms of office of Proff WAM (Wannie) Carstens, JH (Joan) Hambidge and Mr JG (Johan) Theron as members of the Council of the University, duly elected thereto by the Convocation, will expire on 1 April 2018.
A further position is also vacant following the resignation of Prof GJ Crafford who was elected as Council member of the University by the Convocation for the period 4 November 2016 to 1 April 2020.
Written nominations by the members of the Convocation to fill these vacancies, as mentioned above, may be submitted to the Registrar before 12:00 pm on Wednesday, 7 March 2018. Each nomination must be supported by at least five members of the Convocation (accompanied by the signatures and identity-numbers of the nominators) and must contain the written acceptance of the nomination by the nominee with his/her signature. Contact details, a passport-size colour photo and an abridged CV of the nominee, accompanied by a short vision statement for the University must be included in the nomination. The CV and vision statement together must be limited to a maximum of 50 words and must be provided both in English and in Afrikaans.
If more than three (3) candidates are nominated for the term 2 April 2018 to 1 April 2022, or more than one (1) candidate for the term 2 April 2018 to 1 April 2020, an election will be held in respect of the relevant position(s).
In accordance with the SU Statute, the following requirements apply:
- Candidates should be persons with experience and expertise relevant to the aims and activities of the University.
- Candidates may not be 70 years of age or older on the date of the nomination or on 2 April 2018.
- Candidates may not be employees or students of the University and no member of Council may be a member of the council of another national public higher education institution, or be employed in an executive managerial capacity by such a national public higher education institution.
The onus remains on the nominators and nominees to ensure that nominations are valid and aligned with the SU Statute. Nominators and nominees are advised to familiarise themselves with the relevant provisions in the SU Statute to ensure that the nominations and acceptance of nominations are valid. Failure to meet all requirements will lead to a disqualification of a nomination.
Dr Ronel Retief
Admin A, Room 2020
Fax: 086 606 7946 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
21 February 2018