STRATEGIC FUND ALLOCATIONS
1. DISTRIBUTION PER STRATEGIC FUND CATEGORY PER YEAR:
* Received annually from the 2% of the main budget that is allocated to the strategic component (which also includes the Contingency Fund).
- In 2019, additional funding was allocated.
- The 2020 contribution from the main budget was added to the 2019 amount to form a combined budget.
- Totals indicate the combined funds available for Categories A, B, C1.1 and C1.2 for that period/year.
2. DISTRIBUTION PER STRATEGIC FUND CATEGORY
3. ALLOCATIONS PER YEAR (RAND VALUE)
- 2019 was a transition period from the application of the previous Strategic Fund Regulation to that of the current Strategic Fund Regulation.
- Only R318 million of the available R339 million for 2019 was allocated; the remainder (R21 million) was transferred to 2020.
- There was an approximate over-allocation of R5 million in 2020.
- R54 million was available in 2021. After subtracting the over-allocated amount mentioned above, a final amount of R49 million was available for the application process.
- A new C sub-category, C1.2, was added in 2021. R2 million of the R15 million for the C category was allocated to C1.2, with the understanding that, if not utilised, it would carry over to the next year.
- In 2022 there were no Category B applications. Thus, only R49 million of the R72 million was allocated.
4. ALLOCATIONS PER YEAR (TOTAL NUMBER OF PROJECTS FUNDED)
5. DIVISION PER AREA
All amounts above refer to allocations across all categories (A, B and C.1.1) for that area and year.
- Allocations made to projects requested by faculties.
- Allocations made to projects requested by RCs.
- Allocations made to projects with an institutional mandate that are for the benefit of the institution as a whole.
- 2019 (SunFin, SunStudent, new website and brand, ICT, Visual Redress, etc.)
- 2021 (investigation into assessment models/methods)
- Allocations made to projects with a combination of two or more of the above areas.
- 2021 (Seeding Entrepreneurism Across SU – SBS, COO [LaunchLab, Innovus])
- 2022 (MaRooN Health Passport – SITP, RIPS, Registrar)