|We Pledge to always treat our stakeholders equitably, and with respect and compassion
|Staff key themes
|Students key themes
Equity and anti-discrimination
- Respect all stakeholders, regardless of their position or title.
- Create a respectful, inclusive, professional environment at the university, where all stakeholders are treated with fairness and respect.
Respect and non-discrimination
- Empower disadvantaged students and treat all students equally, regardless of race, religion, sex, or gender.
- Understand and appreciate different cultures, respect others' spaces and belongings, and show gratitude.
- Understand what respect means to others and do not impose one's beliefs on others.
Advocacy and support
- Treat patients fairly and root out corrupt leaders who abuse power.
- Create a positive, supportive environment that values diversity and promotes holistic development of students and well-being of staff.
- Invest time in students' holistic development and remain sensitive to their needs.
- Provide support to research candidates and respond to the needs of NSFAS beneficiaries.
Mentoring and listening
- Mentor and encourage critical thinking and open debates.
- Listen to one another's concerns and opinions, even if there is disagreement.
- Prioritise freedom of speech, allow individuals to express their views in an appropriate manner without being ostracised.
- Provide excellent service to all stakeholders, inside and outside the university, and prioritise faster service delivery, particularly in facilities management.
- Ensure professionalism in interactions, collaborate and help each other, highlight achievements of colleagues.
Professionalism and objectivity
- Prioritise professionalism and objectivity and listen to one another's concerns and opinions.
- Remain open to different viewpoints and avoid gender bias.
Understanding and compassion
- Emphasise the significance of compassion, empathy, kindness and patience in interactions with others.
- Create an environment where individuals feel comfortable sharing thoughts and ideas, where we listen to others without immediately responding or dismissing their concerns.
- Provide a safe space for students and staff to share struggles and seek assistance when needed.
Customer service and kindness
- Ensure kindness, empathy and compassion, and treat people with respect and dignity.
- Greet, smile, and acknowledge others, and address the needs of those affected by one's actions.
- Prioritise kindness among administrative and library staff, including timeous responses to customer queries.
- Pay adequate salaries and provide developmental opportunities for growth.
Campus facilities and cleanliness
- Ban drinking or smoking in prohibited areas and ensure appropriate disposal of rubbish.
- Prioritise gender-neutral bathrooms and wheelchair accessibility throughout the campus.
- Work towards better education and awareness among lecturers and support staff regarding disabilities, such as braille and sign language.
- Ensure transparency and ethical behaviour, communicate clearly and timeously, avoid lies and rudeness, and act on reports of discrimination.
- Facilitate open discussions and mediation when values and cultures are in conflict.
- Actively engage in conversations, pay attention to what others say, take requests and suggestions seriously.
Critical thinking and open debates
- Remain open to different viewpoints and avoid gender bias and the promotion of false and radical gender ideology.
- Listen to and appreciate different cultures, treat others with dignity, and handle discrimination cases with care.
- Encourage critical thinking and open debates, value opinions and contributions from all members of the university community.
- Prioritise respectful academic debates and increase availability of interpreters to ensure effective communication.
- Create a new university community culture, emphasising collaboration, collegiality, and students' holistic development.
- Arrange mental health awareness workshops, treat external stakeholders with equity, break down silos and foster collegial behaviour.
- Provide continuous learning and growth opportunities, including respect for differences.
Nurturing and inspiring young people
- Improve staff and student support for academic success, provide moral guidance, and support fellow students.
- Create an enjoyable working environment that encourages team, charitable, and volunteering opportunities, as well as promoting corporate social responsibility.
Inclusivity and diversity
- Be culturally sensitive and have an inclusive approach that recognises and celebrates diversity.
- Understand and allow for differences in culture, language, and educational backgrounds.
- Prioritise transformation and equity, implement transformation-driven policies and exercise zero tolerance for racism and sexism.
- Ensure that decision-making processes are inclusive, as organisations can benefit from a diverse range of perspectives and ideas.
Diversity and inclusion
- Prioritise religious freedom, student representation and participation, wheelchair accessibility, and listening to minority voices.
- Institute welcoming, inclusive university activities, such as educating staff on disabilities, gender-neutral bathrooms and mentoring programmes.
- Remain open to different viewpoints and avoid gender bias.
- Encourage the use of multiple languages at the university.
- Show respect to others - it should not have to be earned.
- Respect others' opinions, boundaries, cultures, religious backgrounds, and right to privacy.
- Respect all staff members, regardless of their likeability, and treat everyone equally.
- Respect the Constitution of South Africa with no tolerance for unfair practices or discrimination.
- Ensure respectful communication, including answering e-mails promptly and proper e-mail etiquette.
Equality and inclusivity
- Value everyone's opinions and contributions and treat all with dignity and equality.
- Display courtesy and gratitude in daily interactions, zero tolerance for discrimination, bullying and belittling others.
Positive working environment
- Create a positive working environment that fosters trust and inclusivity.
- Create safe spaces for voicing concerns, learning from mistakes, and accommodating each other's needs.
- Hold team building activities and treat all staff, students and stakeholders as participants in the university's collective endeavour to improve society.
- Value and consider the contributions of individuals at all levels, as this fosters a culture of innovation and continuous improvement.
Psychological safety and well-being
- Prioritise psychological safety, including nurturing young people and inspiring future leaders.
- Create increased awareness and action regarding physical safety and protection of wellbeing.
- Ensure greater awareness about voluntary programmes and organisations like Rape Crisis.