Poison Information Centre
The Poison Information Centre provides a 24-hour toxicology consultation service to health care professionals (at all levels), industry, and the lay public.
Visit the Poison Information Centre website (www.sun.ac.za/poisoncentre) for a poison chart and pre-hospital management chart.
The Tygerberg Poisons Information Centre
- Advises on, and assists with, the prevention, diagnosis and management of poisoning.Supply general information on poisons
- Have expert toxicologists available to advise on biological toxins, with special reference to snakes , spiders and scorpions.
- Assist with procedures to be followed, when dealing with cases of mass exposure to toxins after transit and industrial accidents.
- Participates in the WHO Chemical Risk Assessment workshops
- Are actively involved in toxicology teaching and training to under and post graduate students
- Participate in community interaction programmes concerning poisoning prevention and education