NOTICE TO ALL MEMBERS OF THE CONVOCATION
OF STELLENBOSCH UNIVERSITY
ELECTION OF COUNCIL MEMBERS FOR THE TERM
2 APRIL 2018 - 1 APRIL 2022
Members of the Convocation of Stellenbosch University have been notified in the press and via email that three (3) vacancies have arisen on the University Council, owing to the expiry of the term of office of Proff WAM (Wannie) Carstens, JH (Joan) Hambidge and Mr JG (Johan) Theron, who were duly elected as members of the Council by the Convocation for the term 2 April 2014 to 1 April 2018.
Members of the Convocation were requested to submit nominations in order to fill these vacancies. As more than three (3) candidates have been nominated, an election is being held. Your CONFIDENTIAL BALLOT must reach the Registrar before 12:00 on Monday, 30 April 2018. The validity of ballots will be verified.
- You may vote for a maximum of three (3) candidates applicable to the abovementioned term. Mark the boxes next to the name of the candidates for whom you want to vote and complete the ballot. No other amendment to the ballot is allowed.
- No one may complete more than one ballot for the applicable term and your CONFIDENTIAL BALLOT must be completed in full.
- No person is allowed to vote on your behalf or use your ballot to vote on.
- With the completion of this ballot, the voter concerned personally assumes responsibility for compliance with the election rules as stipulated above. Transgressing the above rules amounts to fraud and is a criminal offence. All cases where fraud is suspected will be investigated and may lead to criminal prosecution.
- Please note: BOTH your SU number (as provided at the top of the Registrar's e-mail), as well as your ID number must be used in order to vote.
- The Alumni Office may be contacted on 021 808 2709 or 021 808 2710 if voting problems are being encoun-tered or if a hard copy of the CONFIDENTIAL BALLOT is required. Please note that online voting opens on 16 April 2018.
|You may vote in any one of 5 different ways – the closing date for whichever way you vote is Monday, 30 April 2018 at 12:00.|
- Vote electronically at www.sun.ac.za where an abbreviated CV, vision and photo of each candidate are available. Please note that online voting opens on 16 April 2018
- Fax this completed ballot to: 086 606 7946
- Scan and email this completed ballot to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mail this completed ballot in a sealed envelope marked CONFIDENTIAL BALLOT to Dr Ronel Retief, Registrar, Stellenbosch University, Private Bag X1, Matieland 7602.
- Deliver this completed ballot in a sealed envelope marked CONFIDENTIAL: BALLOT to Dr Ronel Retief, Registrar, Stellenbosch University, Room A 2020, Admin A, Ryneveld Street, Stellenbosch.
The content of this page is for information purposes only. You need to use the CONFIDENTIAL BALLOT to vote.
The following candidates have been duly nominated:
Mr CD (Charl) Cillié CV - BSc, BSc (Hons), B Phil, all from SU; Previous Project Manager at Media24 and Pearson Education; Current MD at Infinity Web Solutions. Vision - Focus on the South African needs; Improved student advice and interaction; Invest in distance learning and satellite campuses; Development of both Afrikaans AND our indigenous languages.
| ||Prof MA (Muhammad) Dhansay CV - MBChB (UCT); FCP; MMed (Paed)(SU); South African Medical Research Council: Unit Director; Vice-President; Acting President; Medical Director; Extraordinary Professor, Division of Human Nutrition, Stellenbosch University; Chair National Science Technology Forum. Vision - Willingness to embrace change, Commitment to leadership with integrity, Be critical but fair.|
| ||Prof J (Joan) Hambidge CV - B.A., Hons(Stell.), MA(Pret.), PhD(Rhodes), PhD(UK); Professor of Afrikaans & Creative Writing, UCT; SU Council Member; Public intellectual. Vision – Stands for multilingualism and multiculturalism; gender issues; the advancement and protection of standards within a debate of decolonisation in a university which strives towards excellence; the acknowledgement of SU's position within the broader international arena.|
|||Ms L (Loyiso) Kula CV - I am a commercially-minded business professional with 13 years' experience across the financial services and media industry. My passion and expertise include: the digitisation of businesses, strategy, corporate governance and change management. Vision - My vision for Stellenbosch University: To build an international brand rooted in South Africa, reflective of our diverse nation.|
|Ms KBL (Khwezi) Kunene CV – SACQSP; IODSA; SAAWG; Post Graduate Diploma Leadership Development; IMDP; Corporate Project Management Certificate; BSc Property Development & Construction Management; The Playhouse Company - Deputy Chairperson Council; Quantity Surveyor. Vision - Providing world-class education to uplift and develop future leaders, impacting and enriching our nation and world at large.|
|||Mr WA (Willem) Liebenberg CV – B. Sc. Agriculture Hons; NADSAM Diploma (UNISA); Health & Safety Manager MBA Boland; SU Institutional Forum; Vice-President SU Convocation; Area Manager Gideons SA. Vision - Commitment to excellence, merit, fairness, righteousness, transparency, non-racialism and equal opportunities to tertiary education; Participatory, transparent and accountable leadership; Increased tertiary educational access in Afrikaans and English. |
|||Dr N (Nomafrench) Mbombo CV - Appointed as the Western Cape Minister of Health since 2015. Previously, Associate Professor at the School of Nursing, University of the Western Cape. Acted in an advisory and consultative capacity for Ministries of Health across Africa, and various multinational organisations. Vision - “Where I am planted, I grow."|
|||Adv JJ (Jean) Meiring CV – Advocate at the Johannesburg Bar, BA (cum laude), BA (Hons) (Latin) (cum laude), LLB (cum laude) (all SU), BCL (Oxon) (first class), former Fellow in Law of Murray Edwards College, University of Cambridge. Vision - Stellenbosch must be a world-class university that acknowledges South Africa's unique multiculturalism and – linguicism.|
|||Ms MC (Ria) Olivier CV - This vision is based on my experience as UWC lecturer and development practitioner, as well as my efforts to promote multilingualism. 2016 recipient of the Neville Alexander award for the Promotion of Multilingualism Vision - A word-class, multilingual university committed to unlocking the maximum potential of each student in the interest of South Africa.|
|||Mr JG (Johan) Theron CV - Commercial litigant at Werksmans attorneys. Vision - Over the past 100 years, the US has established itself as a distinguished academic institution. The challenge for the next century is its transformation to an inclusive institution which embraces Afrikaans, amongst others, as one of its fundamental building blocks. By cultivating our diversity together, we are all enriched.|
Dr Ronel Retief
28 March 2018
Download the CONFIDENTIAL BALLOT to vote.
Please note: Electronic Voting is now open.