It's never a dull moment in this historic town. Surrounded by the lush mountain ranges of the Western Cape, it's an area brimming with activities for the young, old and everyone in between. Savour gastronomic treats. Entertain yourself in the many theatres and music halls. And go on some of the best wine tours the country and continent can offer at the more than 200 vineyards located nearby.
Stellenbosch has more than 200 wine farms that offer various types of wine tasting and wine farm tours, with some even offering a fine dining experience and wildlife safaris.
Food and wine
Over 200 fine dining restaurants are located on most wine farms and in the town centre, with a variety of dining options, from indoor dining to picnics. Due to Stellenbosch being a student town, most restaurants and bistros have a laid-back setting yet still offer five-star dining.
History, culture and art
The best way to experience Stellenbosch is to take a walk through the town. As Stellenbosch is one of the oldest towns in South Africa, its streets have a long history to narrate. They boast many outdoor art pieces from various artists such as Strijdom van der Merwe.
- Visit the galleries in Dorp and Church Streets.
- Visit GUS – Gallery University Stellenbosch – in the old Lutheran church.
- Visit the Stellenbosch University Museum.
If live music and good food are what you are looking for, then the markets are a definite must-do, with freshly baked goods, organic vegetables and wood-fired pizzas. A perfect weekend date for the whole family!
Open every Saturday and Sunday from 10:00 to 16:00
- Oude Libertas Slow Market
Open every Saturday from 09:00 to 14:00
- Blaauwklippen Family Market
Open every Sunday from 10:00 to 15:00
If you are more of an outdoors kind of person, here are some ideas for you:
- Take a hike up Coetzenburg Mountain. Perfect for a Saturday morning!
- See wildcats at the Cheetah Experience Ashia.
- Visit the Villiera Wildlife Sanctuary – it offers a wonderful wildlife experience!
Visit the Stellenbosch360 Tourism Information Office for more things to do in Stellenbosch.