Fund for Innovation and Research into Learning and Teaching (FINLO)
***For more information about the 2023 call for proposal (closing date: 17 November 2023), click here.
***The application form to attend the next writing retreat is available here.
What is FINLO?
The Fund for Innovation and Research into Learning and Teaching, hereafter referred to as FINLO, was established in 2005 to encourage a culture of innovation and research in teaching, learning, and assessment (TLA) at Stellenbosch University. The fund provides an opportunity for lecturers to innovate and evaluate effective TLA practices and processes, and investigate TLA challenges, solutions, and trends. It also provides a mechanism for the dissemination of results designed to improve the quality of TLA.
Amount of funding awarded?
Finlo is awarded twice a year by a subcommittee of the Committee for Teaching, Learning, and Assessment (CTLA). Proposals are funded up to a maximum of R60 000.
Who may apply?
Any lecturer, team of lecturers, or centre responsible for TLA is invited to submit proposals for funding of research and/or innovation projects that aim to enhance TLA SU. The focus of proposals may include the review, re-design, and renewal of the academic offerings which encourages reflection and focus on transforming and improving curriculum, teaching, learning, and assessment.
How to apply for FINLO?
- To apply, complete the 2023 application form electronically here. Only applications made on this electronic form will be considered. You can view an inactive version of the application form here.
- Should your application be successful, you will be required to provide an interim (due 6 months after the project has commenced) and a final report (upon completion of the project) on the progress of the project.
- You are required to present the findings of your FINLO-funded project at the SoTL conference.
- Any publications linked to your FINLO-funded project must be reported to FINLO.
- Lastly, any unspent FINLO funds must be returned to FINLO together with your final report submission.
How to get support for FINLO projects?
In support of FINLO projects, the university offers writing retreats. Writing retreats offer dedicated time, away from the office, for FINLO-related writing of proposals or publications. These retreats usually take place during May and November for both new and experienced teaching, learning, and assessment researchers. For more information about Writing retreats, click here.
Once you have developed your idea, and spoken to colleagues you are also encouraged to consult with the CTL advisor in your faculty.
Supporting documentation for FINLO Awards:
- Use this
template to report on your FINLO project
- The guidelines and criteria for the FINLO funding application are available here.
- The Regulations for the Management of the Fund for Innovation and Research in Learning and Teaching (FINLO) are detailed here.
Some Finlo Successes:
Video streaming to aid neurology training
Thanks to funding provided by Stellenbosch University's (SU) Fund for Innovation and Research into Learning and Teaching (Finlo), video-conferencing facilities and off-site neurology training can now be implemented at three clinical learning centres across the Western Cape.