Affiliate Research Students
Students who plan on doing field work or research at Stellenbosch University for non-degree purposes are to apply as affiliate research students. The terms “affiliate students”, “affiliate research students” and “affiliates” can be used interchangeably.
International students applying to do research only at Stellenbosch
University must secure a place with a host department independently.
Affiliate applicants are to submit their applications at the very least
three weeks prior to their expected admission outcome.
Please take note of the following:
- An Affiliate student is registered at Stellenbosch University for the purpose of conducting research, which may or may not form part of a degree enrolled for at a home university elsewhere, but does not form part of a degree at Stellenbosch University.
- the student may or may not be enrolled at another institution as a full degree seeking student
- Affiliate students are preferably already on a postgraduate level
- It is the student’s responsibility to arrange the academic side of the visit directly with the academic host/ academic supervisor/ academic contact person, in terms of the nature and scope for the project, the outcomes, etc.
- An Affiliate student is hosted by an academic department and needs to point out one academic supervisor at Stellenbosch University (this can be alongside the home university research supervisor)
- A student may have a secondary contact outside the academic department (e.g. a private company), but the primary contact ought to be the academic supervisor involved at an academic department at Stellenbosch University
- In the event that an Affiliate student needs to have academic ethical clearance on the research project to be conducted at Stellenbosch University, the student ought to arrange this via the academic supervisor at Stellenbosch University, well in ahead of arrival
- No affiliate student will be registered without the full affiliate fees reflecting on the student account
- Upon registration, students ought to bring along the original passport, proof of health insurance and proof of payment. Registration and a one on one orientation talk for settling in at the university, access to buidlings and IT systems is done at Stellenbosch University International (SU International), Wilcocks Building room 1017C.
- Mia Engelbrecht
- Email: affiliates(at)sun.ac.za