Internationalisation at Stellenbosch University
Add picture before text
At Stellenbosch University (SU), we value internationalisation – it is one of our main priorities. With more than 100 partnerships on six continents, about 4300 international staff and students, Stellenbosch University's engagement reaches far and wide.
Falling in the responsibility area of
Prof Hester Klopper, Deputy Vice-Chancellor: Strategy and Internationalisation, Stellenbosch University International supports the institution's internationalisation activities in the rest of Africa and beyond. SU International's mission is to enhance SU's African engagement, establish international alumni hubs, expand SU's international networks, build SU's international profile and work towards systemic sustainability in terms of income-generating activities
- International activities at Stellenbosch University can be traced back to June 1993 when the Office for International Relations was established. The year marked the start of coordinated efforts to grow and cultivate international relations and to advance international academic networks and mobility in a systematic way.
- International activities commenced with formal institutional agreements with the Eberhard Karls Universität Tübingen (Germany), Leiden University (the Netherlands) and the KU Leuven (Belgium).
- Structured incoming student exchanges started with a group of 14 students in February 1994.
- Stellenbosch University International provides roughly 50 SU staff members (both academic and support staff) with mobility grants to visit their counterparts at partner institutions for academic or capacity development activities annually.
- >300 students in international mobility programmes
- 120 registered active collaborative projects in 19 African countries with 52 institutions/collaborators.
Where our international students are from
(We would like to add a graphic depicting international student numbers – do you have any suggestions on interactive maps one can embed here? If not possible than a spreadsheet with numbers or static graphic which we will update each semester)