Psychotherapy & Personal Development
The Unit for Psychotherapeutic and Support Services (UPSS) offers a free psychotherapeutic, social and developmental service to all enrolled students to help them attain success in their studies.
Types of Issues
Types of issues for which students often seek help:
- Problems with adjusting at the university and being away from home
- Despondency and depression
- Dealing with loss and other traumatic occurrences
- Feelings of being inferior and a poor self-image
- Excessive stress during exams and at times when performance is required
- Unpleasant anxiety and tension
- Anxiety to act in front of people
- Detrimental effects of alcohol and other substance abuse
- Concerns regarding weight, eating habits and looks
- Conflict and other problems in relationships
- Uncertainty about sexuality
- Social problems
Your Plan of Action
If you require assistance with any of the above or any other issue, follow the steps below:
Step 1: If you are going through an acute crisis and require immediate help, contact the crisis service.
Step 2: If you are not experiencing a crisis, consult the information material on the web site of the Centre for Student Counselling and Development (CSCD) and follow the guidelines set out in the material.
Step 3: If you have read and applied these guidelines and they fail to bring relief to your problem, join a workshop on the subject, or join a therapeutic group.
How to make an appointment:
Stellenbosch campus: Make an appointment with our receptionists at 49 Victoria Street, or call us on 021-808-4994. The therapist on duty will conduct an interview with you, obtain the relevant information from you and make a recommendation accordingly.
Tygerberg campus: A similar service is available on the Tygerberg campus. Call 021-938-9590, or visit our office at Student Health Services to arrange an appointment.