STUDY VISA PRIOR TO ARRIVAL
International students are required to have a valid study visa to study at Stellenbosch University (SU).
SU is not permitted to register a student without a valid temporary residence visa.
As part of your visa application, you will be required to submit a medical certificate and radiological report in addition to any other documents which may be required (consult with the South African mission closest to you). You will also have to provide proof of medical cover recognised in South Africa from a provider that is registered with the South African Council for Medical Schemes in terms of the Medical Schemes Act, 1998, as per the following link South African Council for Medical Schemes.
Please contact the nearest South African High Commission to confirm the application process and supporting documents required for the visa application.
IMPORTANT: Please note it can take up to eight (8) weeks to obtain a visa, but the circumstances may vary from country to country. Start your visa application by acquainting yourself with the necessary supporting documentation which may be time-consuming to obtain. Please ensure that you submit a complete application for your visa.
This information serves as a guide only. Requirements for obtaining a visa for South Africa are subject to change and each application is treated as an individual case. Always enquire from your nearest SA Mission before travelling to South Africa.
RENEWAL OF STUDY VISA IN SOUTH AFRICA
Your study visa needs to stay valid for 60 days.
- The application process is done through VFS-Global
- Apply online at VFS-Global - please browse the website and familiarise yourself with the process
- Schedule an appointment only once you have all supporting documents
- VFS is charging R 1 350 for facilitating services and the DHA renewal Fee remains R 425 = R 1 775
- It is best to make payment at VFS with a scheduled appointment when submitting the application
Documents to support the visa renewal:
- A letter of undertaking/letter of continuation (LOC) for your study permit renewal will only be issued if your student account at Stellenbosch University are settled in full.
- Please ensure that you have sufficient funding available to continue with your studies because we confirm in the LOC that your continuation is not at the expense of a South African Student.
- Please send an email to request for a letter of undertaking / letter of continuation (LOC):
* Undergraduate - firstname.lastname@example.org
* Postgraduate -
- Documents not to be older than six months
- Passport and Visa must be certified
- Passport valid for no less than 30 days after expiry of intended studies
- Police clearance certificate from South Africa
Medical Certificate and Radiological Report
- Yellow Fever Vaccination Certificate if from yellow fever region
- Proof of financial means (3 months South African bank statement)
- Proof of Medical cover registered with the South African Council for Medical Schemes in terms of the Medical Schemes Act, 1998, please refer to this link
South African Council for Medical Schemes.
It must be paid up for the full academic year (or for the relevant period for semester students).
- Please note that with your appointment and application being accepted, Biometrics are taken
For more information, please contact
Mr Grant Leukes (Coordinator: Immigration & Health Cover)