Top 5 personal safety tips
- Be vigilant and take responsibility for your safety!
- Avoid walking alone, avoid isolated areas, take the safest route even if it is not the shortest and make use of the pedestrian excort service.
- Memorise the emergency numbers (to the the right) or save it on your cellphone.
- Dont be an easy target! Make sure your cellphone or computer is not visible.
- Invest in a safety whistle or pepper spray - available at the Matie Shop.
HAVE A SAFETY TIP TO SHARE? E-mail it to email@example.com
Safety initiatives over the last few years
- Doing away with exams and tests at night
- A pedestrian escort service introduced
- A mobile security office in the evenings in selected areas.
- A vast street camera
network and the use of technology
- Existing after-hours shuttle service is extended (link for more information).
- Additional vehicles for patrols and doubling the number of guards on the preferred routes: Bosman, Victoria and Claassen Streets
- Motorcycles patrolling the main routes in and around campus and increasing the visibility of guards.
- Creating security zones such as the one on the Rooiplein
- Awareness campaigns and active partnerships with
the SAPS, Stellenbosch Municipality and the broader security community in the
Important articles on safety
- Be extra vigilant during the exam time (Read more)
- Stay safe (new) Maties! (Read more)
- SU spends millions on additional safety initiatives (Read more)
- All the information on the extra shuttle service (Read more)
- Register your bicycle! (Read article)
Complaints about Campus Security can be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.