Campus Security is a service division which assists all students, staff and visitors in creating a safe environment for the university community. Security officers patrol the grounds of the university and are trained to ensure the safety of the university community and to assist in emergencies.
Students and staff are encouraged to take safety precuations by following these tips:
- Never walk alone, especially at night.
- Walk in groups, use the shuttle service or request security to escort you.
- Keep your phone and valuables out of sight.
- Carry a whistle and pepper spray at all times to be able to draw attention if needed.
- Choose the safest route, even if it is not the shortest.
- Avoid isolated areas, especially when you exercise early in the morning or late in the afternoon.
- Be conscious of your environment, as criminals prefer to target someone not aware of his/her direct surroundings.
- Keep a safe distance if a motorist asks for directions.
- If you suspect that someone might be following you, change direction.
- Be a caring Matie: accompany a friend.
- Property on a car seat is tempting to a thief. Lock it in the boot.
Safety escort at night
If you need to move between campus buildings, or from a building to your car after dark (20:00 – 05:00), a security officer will escort you.
- Call 021 808 2333 or alternatively 021 808 4202 and wait for the officer to join you.
- You can also Whatsapp the security office at 082 808 2333 to contact you. No voice calls to this number is possible.
Choose the safest route, even if it is not the shortest. Victoria and Bosman Streets need to be the core of your route.
At night a security officer is on duty in the mobile security kiosk.
Campus shuttle service
A campus shuttle service is available on central campus. This service focuses on the following needs:
- Transport between the general parking areas on the edge of campus and central campus during the day.
- Transport between the long-term parking area and central points at the residences at specific times during the day and night.
- Transport to and from service divisions and departments on the edge of campus (e.g. Food Science and Welgevallen), to and from central campus.
- Transport of congress attendees to and from the general parking areas on the edge of campus.
for the campus shuttle schedule.
Download the Campus Safety Guide HERE.
*Complaints or enquiries about Campus Security can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org