In 1924, the Department of Business Management opened its doors with two students. Today, the department has more than 8 000 registered students, with our alumni making a significant contribution to the responsible management of businesses across the world.
- 15 September 1924: The Department of Business Management is founded. Prof CGW Schumann is appointed as senior lecturer.
Student numbers (both undergraduate and postgraduate) through the years:
- 1924: 2
- 1940: 112
- 1950: 177
- 1960: 415
- 1970: 962
- 1980: 1294
- 2021: More than 9000
Department heads since inception:
- 1924 – 1960: Prof CGW Schumann
- 1961 – 1969: Prof Jan van der Meulen
- 1970 – 1983 (except in 1976): Prof Awie Scheurkogel
- 1976: Prof Rias van Wyk
The following staff members also served as chairpersons of the department:
- Prof Izak Lambrechts
- Prof Marius Leibold
- Prof PG du Plessis
- Prof FJ Mostert
- Prof Johann de Villiers
- Prof Nic Terblanche
- Prof Laetitia van Dyk
- Prof Christo Boshoff
- 1985: Academic and administrative staff numbers have grown substantially. Some courses are now being offered part-time. New subject areas such as Distribution Management, Short-term Insurance, Property Investment and Financing, Futures Studies, and Production and Operations Management are added.
- 1994: The name of the department changes from Business Economics to Business Management at a gala event at Oude Libertas, Stellenbosch.
- 1997: The staff complement (academic and administrative) has grown to 18.
- 15 September 1999: The Department of Business Management celebrates its 75th anniversary. Well-known alumni include the athlete Elana Meyer, former rugby captain Morné Du Plessis, and business leaders such as GT Ferreira and Whitey Basson.
- December 2021: The department has 27 full-time faculty members and 5 support staff members. Student numbers exceed 9 000.