​​​​​​

Huis ten Bosch fire

On Monday, 12 August 2019, a fire broke out at the Stellenbosch University residence Huis ten Bosch at around 19:00. The fire in this residence for female students was brought under control by 20:30, and all 164 residents were brought to safety. One student was treated for burn wounds to her hands, and another was treated for smoke inhalation at the Stellenbosch Hospital, but both students are doing well. The roof above eight rooms on the third floor of Huis ten Bosch was damaged. The University’s Centre for Student Counselling and Development’s 24-hour crisis service, in collaboration with ER24, has been activated and can be contacted on 010 205 3032.


Don​ations

Stellenbosch University would like to extend its gratitude to all staff members, students and the Stellenbosch community who have offered support and assistance to the residents of Huis ten Bosch.

Individuals who would like to contribute goods or make a financial contribution are welcome to do so. Financial donations (to replace academic study material, books, etc.) can be made to the University’s account:

Account number: 073 006 955
Bank: Standard Bank
Branch code: 051001
Reference: R8642

For more information, contact Mr Grant Williams of our Centre for Student Communities (+27 21 808 3064 / ssg@sun.ac.za)


Huis ten Bosch update: Accommodation

The assessment by SU Facilities Management, engineering consultants and the insurers established that the damage to some sections of the residence due to fire was quite extensive. There also is water damage in a large part of the rest of the building. Although this may result in Huis ten Bosch being unserviceable for the rest of this semester, it will offer our residents the wonderful prospect of a fit-for-purpose and renewed residence.

Our Residence Placement Office managed to source SU accommodation for students who are most affected by the fire damage and students who live far from campus. They were relocated to SU accommodation yesterday afternoon. Unfortunately we have had to rely on many students who could find temporary accommodation with family or friends until we find more accommodation near the SU campus. Thank you to all who are assisting in this way.

Click here for the communiqué to HTB students and parents​.


Huis ten Bosch update: Academics

Settling into alternative accommodation and moving personal belongings out of Huis ten Bosch Tuesday evening and today, means that it will still be very difficult for many students to function academically. Faculty staff have been requested to excuse residents of Huis ten Bosch from classes, tests, tutorials, practical sessions etc. for today (Wednesday 14 August). Hopefully most of the students from Huis ten Bosch will be settled enough to meet all of their academic commitments from Thursday (15 August) onwards. Students are encouraged to take the assessment opportunities if at all possible, in order not to have too much to catch up later. Students with specific circumstances which make it impossible to take assessments or attend learning opportunities from Thursday onwards, are advised to contact their lecturers individually and make arrangements that are practicable for them and the faculties. Faculties have received the list of Huis ten Bosch students and their academic programmes in order for them to be able to determine which students are enrolled in modules that each faculty offers.


Latest Updates

Huis ten Bosch fire: roof and eight rooms damaged

13 August 2019

The roof above eight rooms on the third floor of Huis ten Bosch residence at Stellenbosch University (SU) was destroyed when a fire broke out around 19:00...

Read more >

Media: please take note – Huis ten Bosch is closed to the media until further notice

12 August 2019

The assessor is expected on the Huis ten Bosch terrain today. For safety reasons no media will be allowed in the residence until...

Read more >

Huis ten Bosch fire extinguished, residents safe

12 August 2019

All Huis ten Bosch residents on the Stellenbosch University campus have accommodation for the night after a fire broke out in the residence around 19:00....

Read more >