As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic the Stellenbosch University (SU) Rectorate has approved a hybrid graduation model for the upcoming 2020 December graduation cycle. The hybrid graduation model includes 12 small physical (face-to-face) ceremonies for doctoral graduands, honorary doctorates, Chancellor's Awards recipients and the Chancellor's medallist in the Endler Hall, as well as virtual faculty-specific graduation ceremonies. Graduation ceremonies will take place from 14 to 16 December 2020.
Please see the below information outlining the arrangements for the 2020 December Graduation:
Physical (Face-to-Face) Ceremonies
Twelve small physical graduation ceremonies (four per day) will be held in a format that complies with current COVID-19 regulations and will not put the health and safety of graduands and their guests at risk. The physical graduation ceremonies will be held in the Endler Hall of the SU Conservatoire of Music (Konservatorium), as the venue is the most suitable for the small number of attendees allowed, and from a social distancing perspective.
These physical (face-to-face) ceremonies will be held for the following categories:
- Doctoral Graduands (*Including March/April 2020 PhD graduates)
- Honorary Doctorates
- Chancellor's Awards Recipients
- Chancellor's Medallist
* All 2020 March/April doctoral graduates should please note that this will be a ceremonial crossing of the graduation stage only. Your name will not reflect in the 2020 December Graduation Booklet. No certificate will further be issued as you have received your certificate during the March/April 2020 cycle.
Physical (Face-to-Face) Ceremony Schedule
All graduands in the four categories listed above should please consult the physical (face-to-face) ceremony programme schedule for the date and time of your graduation/ceremonial crossing of the stage.
Group allocations will be made available on the graduation webpage. The comprehensive programme and graduand name list will also be published on the graduation webpage in early December.
PhD Candidates - Confirmation of Attendance
All PhD candidates, including the March/April 2020 cohort, are kindly requested to confirm their attendance by following this link. Please note you will not receive any admission
tickets (graduand or guest) if your submission has not been received before 16 November 2020.
All graduands are requested to present themselves at the venue 30 minutes prior to the start of the ceremony. Graduands must proceed directly to their allocated seat. Your seat number will be indicated on your invitation.
Admission Tickets – Graduand and Guest Tickets
Please note that the venue's population certificate (a legal requirement) limits the number of individuals that may be in the venue at any given time, compelling SU to issue a specific number of admission tickets per graduand. The current Level 1 Disaster Management Regulations further determine that a venue may not exceed 50% of its capacity, with a maximum capacity of 250 people for indoor gatherings. This number includes essential staff.
Based on the above the following number of guest tickets will be issued:
- Doctoral Graduands - Each candidate may invite two (2) guests
- Honorary Doctorates - Each candidate may invite two (2) guests
- Chancellor's Awards Recipients - Each candidate may invite one (1) guest
- Chancellor's Medallist - The candidate may invite two (2) guests
- No guest or graduand will be allowed to enter the venue without an admission ticket.
- Regrettably, no additional guest tickets will be available for any of the graduation ceremonies.
- We respectfully request graduands and guests that are over the age of 60 and/or with any comorbidities to take extra precaution.
- The physical graduation ceremonies will be live streamed for family and friends that are unable to attend the event.
- Each graduand and guest will receive a unique seat number. Please do not move/change seats.
- Each graduand and guest should take note of the COVID-19 protocols outlined below. These protocols will be strictly enforced.
Graduands and guest admission tickets will be emailed by Tuesday, 8 December 2020. Please check your official “@sun" student email account or the e-mail account registered by you on the University system for the admission tickets. Please also check your “junk" or “spam" folder. Note that the tickets will be sent from a Quicket account. Tickets can be printed or saved to cell phones and must be shown at the door. Note that this arrangement applies to both graduands and guests.
- All venues will be thoroughly cleaned and disinfected as per the approved COVID-19 protocols.
- The doors to the venue will be opened 30 minutes prior to the start of the ceremony.
- The wearing of a mask is compulsory for the full duration of the ceremony, including when you cross the stage.
- No guests or graduands will, therefore, be allowed to enter the venue without a mask.
- All graduands and guests will be required to complete the Higher Health Check and produce a copy of the outcome at the door. Please take a screenshot of your screening status outcome and have it ready upon arrival at the venue. The application can be accessed via the following options:
- To enter the venue, a green/ low-risk status is required. Graduands and guests with any other status will not be allowed to enter the venue.
- You are requested to keep a safe physical distance at all times.
- We respectfully request guests to leave the venue as quickly as possible after the event in order for the venue to be cleaned and sanitised before the next ceremony.
Virtual Faculty-Based Ceremonies
Virtual faculty-based ceremonies will be held for the remainder of the graduand categories. These graduands will receive their qualifications in absentia. The virtual faculty ceremonies' links will be released at the time of the first physical PhD ceremony, on Monday, 14 December 2020 at 09:00.
Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences - Physical (face-to-face) Pledge Ceremonies
This segment will entail small face-to-face pledge ceremonies per UG programme groups on 18 November and on 14 December 2020.
A physical pledge ceremony will be held for the following UG programmes/programme groups on 18 November 2020. The provisional number of Graduands is allocated in brackets ():
- Ceremony 1, 9:30: Dietetics Graduands
A physical pledge ceremony will be held for the following UG programmes/programme groups on 14 December 2020. The provisional number of Graduands is allocated in brackets ():
- Ceremony 2, 9:30: Health Sciences Graduands
Ceremony 3, 13:00: MBChB Graduands (307)
- Speech-Language and Hearing Therapy (29)
- Occupational Therapy (44)
- Physiotherapy (56)
- All Dietetics Graduands that were not able to attend the 18 November Pledge Ceremonies (TBC)
Further information will be communicated to the applicable graduands.
Faculty of Military Science Graduands
Please note that a separate graduation ceremony will be held for all Military Science undergraduate, honours and masters' graduands on the Saldanha campus on 2 December 2020.
PhD candidates will receive their qualifications on the Stellenbosch campus (Endler Hall) as communicated earlier. Please consult the physical (face-to-face) ceremony programme schedule.
Further information regarding the arrangements for the ceremony at Saldanha will be communicated to the specific graduands by the Faculty of Military Science.
Jeanné-Mari Mac Lachlan – Faculty Administrator: Military Science
Tel: 022 702 3017
The hiring of academic attire for the ceremonies on 14 to 16 December 2020 will take place in the Jannasch Lecture Hall at the SU Conservatoire of Music (Konservatorium) on the following dates and times:
Rental Dates - Stellenbosch Campus
Rental Dates - Tygerberg Campus
- Friday, 11 December 2020: 09:00 – 16:00
- Saturday, 12 December 2020: 09:00 – 12:00
- Monday, 14 December 2020: 07:00 – 19:30 (rental and returns)
- Tuesday, 15 December 2020: 07:00 – 19:30 (rental and returns)
- Wednesday, 16 December 2020: 07:00 – 19:30 (rental and returns)
18 November 2020 Ceremony
- 18 November 2020: 7:00am – 15:00 (rental and returns)
14 December 2020 Ceremony
- Friday, 11 December 2020: 09:00 – 16:00
- Saturday, 12 December 2020: 09:00 – 12:00
- Monday, 14 December 2020: 07:00 – 14:00 (rental and returns)
Candidates can hire their academic attire from Dippenaar and Reinecke
, who has been appointed by the University to issue academic attire. The order form as well as additional information can be accessed from this link
. Only electronic payment will be accepted to limit contact. All attire will be disinfected, individually sealed, and labelled for collection. Contact details:
Tel: (012) 343 2945 / 7
Fax: (012) 343 2559
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Graduation Photographs
Graduands will be offered the chance to have graduation photographs taken. Graduands can contact the University's official photographers currently, Stellenbosch Centre for Photographic Services
(SCPS) to make a booking for graduation photographs. Contact details:
Tel: 021 808 3073 / 9260
Website: scpsphoto.co.za/wp/ Outstanding Fees
Candidates who have outstanding fees are subject to the following:
- The sheath received by the candidate at the ceremony will not contain the official graduation documents, but will, instead, contain an account for the outstanding amount and a letter requesting payment thereof.
- To make it possible for the University to issue candidates' graduation documents at the ceremony, candidates must for the purposes of the December 2020 ceremonies settle the outstanding amount before 12:00 on Friday, 4 December 2020.
- Please contact Student Fees at 021 808 4521/4913 or via email at email@example.com to make arrangements.
Please take note that the above arrangements are subject to the prevailing Covid-related conditions and applicable regulations during December.
Please visit the graduation webpage for additional information