The Institutional Committee for Business Continuity (ICBC) recently approved the term and examination dates for 2021.
These dates were determined by taking into account the various factors that have impacted the education sector over the past year and will affect the start of 2021. These include the revised publication date of the matric results on 23 February 2021, as well as a directive by the Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET) that higher education institutions' academic year should commence between 15 March and 15 April 2021. As an institution, we also considered the impact of the finalisation of A4 assessments, the deans' concession exams as well as various logistical issues associated with the academic programme. In addition, we are mindful of the workload of our academic as well as professional administrative support staff, and the need for a proper period of rest before the commencement of classes.
The key implications for the 2021 calendar are as follows:
- Classes for all undergraduate students on Stellenbosch campus and for first-years on Tygerberg campus will commence on 15 March 2021. However, senior undergraduate classes offered by the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences on Tygerberg campus will commence in January/February, as per the relevant programme schedule.
- Classes for structured postgraduate programmes will commence at the relevant departments' discretion.
- All other postgraduate studies will commence at the discretion of students and their supervisors (as per usual practice).
- Saturdays will remain examination days during 2021 (as is the case at present) so as to conclude examinations within the available number of days.
- Exams for modules with high enrolment figures will be scheduled for the first two weeks of the examination period to provide lecturers with adequate marking time.
- A4 examinations will be scheduled for late January, early February, to accommodate lecturers' annual leave.
- A4 examinations for final-year modules will take place as early as possible to allow for potential additional admissions to honours programmes.
- The March 2021 graduation will take place over four days, namely 29 March to 1 April.
- The December 2021 graduation will be hosted from 13 to 18 December.
The detailed 2021 SU almanac is being drafted in consultation with the various institutional stakeholders and will be published by mid-November 2020.