Communication is an important part of our daily lives. Whether it is sending an e-mail, texting, doing an important presentation, writing a report or enjoying a good old conversation, knowing how to communicate effectively in a technology driven world has become more important than ever.
At Stellenbosch University (SU), the Communication Lab, colloquially known as the Comms Lab, is the ideal place to sharpen existing communication skills or to learn something new.
According to Michelle Pieters, coordinator at the Comms Lab, “there's a need for people to upskill". She says she has seen a huge growth in participant numbers since the launch of the Comms Lab in 2017.
The Comms Lab, which is part of the SU Language Centre, offers superbly crafted corporate communication short courses that lead to a certificate of competence when completed successfully. The courses are practical and interactive and can be tailor-made around a client's specific needs.
Pieters says she sees “participants coming in for a course not as a once-off event, but as a long term relationship with the Lab." She adds that “we improve on our content and quality continually. We really would like to help more people."
Among the courses on offer at the Comms Lab are:
- PR like a pro: Writing for the media, which equips participants with the latest techniques to write confidently and effectively on different social media platforms and to craft press or print-media releases, promotional material, publications and blogs.
- Communication par excellence, an entry-level writing course aimed at people who do not speak English as a first language, but who function in a working environment where English is used.
- Communicative English made easy, a course aimed at non-first-language English speakers who want to master the finer skills required for effective and confident verbal communication in English.
- Crafting confident presentations, where participants learn to develop and present impactful presentations, helping them to present with confidence and convey a clear message.
- Cutting-edge business report writing, a course equipping participants with techniques to write state-of-the-art business reports.
- Effective office communication and documentation, which helps participants with writing business e-mails and compiling professional agendas and minutes.
- Form design for business, a practical and interactive course with actual forms being analysed, tested and improved based on the test results.
- Communicate as a professional, a one-day workshop offering an introduction to the communication knowledge and skills that professionals need to complete various communication tasks successfully.
The Comms Lab specifically offers courses to those working in various business, administrative and corporate environments. To date, clients include Fruit and Veg City Holdings, the City of Cape Town Corporate Services Directorate, Wine Industry Ethical Trade Association, Mediclinic Corporate, Maties Gymnasium and SU's library staff – to name only a few.
For more information on the Comms Lab and its courses, contact Michelle Pieters at 021 808 2812 or firstname.lastname@example.org or visit https://shortcourses.sun.ac.za/courses/c-12.html.