There are two different options available for you to officially register as a student of Stellenbosch University in January 2018.
This includes the following:
- self-registration (e-registration)
- registration process in NARGA on the Stellenbosch campus, or GERGA on the Tygerberg campus for students in the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences
If you have completed the National Senior Certificate or the IEB-certificate, you will be able to register yourself.
Candidates from other school systems cannot make use of self-registration. These candidates are urged to submit their final school results, as well as the certificate of university exemption that must be obtained from the SA Matriculation Board to firstname.lastname@example.org. Candidate must also supply their student number.
Notice on registration:
It is important that you read the notice on registration that will be sent to you separately via email by the Registrar of the University before the end of the year.
All the information that you need to decide whether you want to register yourself, or whether you want to register in NARGA (GERGA at the Tygerberg campus) during the welcoming programme, will be provided in the notice. All the necessary dates, times, documentation required and other important information will be contained in the notice.
Self-registration by first-year students:
Self-registration by first-year students can be done from 12 January up to the time slot alloacted to register in NARGA or GERGA.
Self-registration can be done from any computer with access to internet on www.maties.com. We urge you to make use of this option.
You will obtain your student card at the Student Centre (Neelsie) in Stellenbosch in the time slot allocated for your faculty's registration in NARGA, or in GERGA if you are at Tygerberg.
GERGA-registration and NARGA-registration:
If you cannot or do not want to register yourself, you must carefully read the notice on registration that will be sent to you via email to ensure that you report for registration at the right date and time at NARGA or GERGA.
- GERGA-registration at the Tygerberg campus is scheduled for Friday 26 January
- NARGA-registration at the Stellenbosch campus is per faculty allocated time slots on Monday 29 and Tuesday 30 January
Please ensure that you have all the necessary documents required for registration.
Please note that first-year students who have not registered on these dates and who obtain special permission to register (the programme for which you want to register might already be full), will have to register later in the course of that week in NARGA together with the senior students of their faculty. First-year students, who register later than that, will be charged a levy of R500, on condition that the relevant Faculty Administrator has granted permission for late registration.
If you do not register yourself before you arrive in Stellenbosch or at Tygerberg, it is your responsibility to ensure that you comply with all the admission requirements of your study programme before you leave for Stellenbosch.
If you are going to register in NARGA or GERGA, you must provide the following original documents when you report for registration in your faculty's allocated registration time slot:
- Advice of Results of the 2017 NSC or IEB final school-leaving examination.
- NSC or IEB candidates who matriculated in 2016 or earlier: National Senior Certificate.
- Candidates from other school systems: School-leaving certificate/s and certificate of university exemption issued by the SA Matriculation Board.
- Candidates who studied at other universities: The document/s mentioned at 2 or 3 above, as well as a full academic record and a certificate of good conduct issued by the university concerned.
- If you are not a South African citizen: a valid study permit.
Please take note of the notice regarding the writing of the National Benchmark Tests.