10 June 2021
Update from the ICBC
Dear colleagues and students
As you may know, the Western Cape has entered its third wave of COVID-19 infections, having recorded an increase in cases of more than 30% over the past week. This was announced by Premier Alan Winde earlier today.
At Stellenbosch University (SU), our Institutional Committee for Business Continuity (ICBC) met earlier tonight to consider the rise in coronavirus infections. Since Monday, there have been 36 positive test results on our Stellenbosch campus, including a number of infections in the Metanoia residence. In line with our protocols (click here), the individuals concerned are now in isolation or quarantine.
To contain the pandemic, the ICBC – acting on the advice of provincial health authorities – took the following decisions with implications for the entire University:
1. SU will move to ERTLA (all lectures and tutorials online) with immediate effect until the end of classes for the second term on 18 June 2021.
2. Scheduled A1 assessments will continue as planned, with strict adherence to COVID-19 protocols. Your department will provide the necessary information.
3. Social and other group activities, including sport, on our campuses – whether organised by SU or not – will stop with immediate effect.
4. Venues on campus where students gather in groups will be closed with immediate effect. These include computer user areas (CUAs) and study centres (including areas of the library used for studying).
5. We trust that these measures will contain the situation sufficiently to ensure the continuation of the upcoming A2 and A3 assessments (from 21 June to 24 July) in sit-down, invigilated mode as planned. Our COVID-19 examination protocol allows for a strictly regulated environment to conduct assessments safely.
6. SU will again provide mobile data to all students (excluding those on our Saldanha campus, short course students and postdoctoral fellows). Bundles will be purchased from MTN, Vodacom, Telkom and Cell C in South Africa, and will be valid for a month from being loaded. To qualify, please confirm the mobile number we have on record for you on your personal details page, by 17:00 on 13 June 2021. To confirm, please click on the “Update Information" button at the bottom of the page and check that the notice reflects the date on which you updated.
Dear colleagues and students, let us redouble our efforts to ensure the successful completion of the first semester. Please wear a mask, avoid crowded and poorly ventilated spaces, maintain a safe physical distance from others and wash your hands regularly. Let me also remind you of SU's COVID-19 code of conduct, which regulates the behaviour of SU students, whether on or off campus.
For updated information, please consult SU's COVID-19 webpage regularly.
Please take care and stay safe,
Prof Stan du Plessis