Along with the rest of the country, Stellenbosch University (SU) closely followed the President's address earlier tonight, paying particular attention to the implications for our remaining graduation ceremonies taking place in the Endler Hall in the Konservatorium (Conserve) on our Stellenbosch Campus this week.
The organising committee had an emergency meeting immediately following the address to consider the new regulations announced, and established with confidence that we are compliant:
- Based on RSVPs, none of the ceremonies planned will exceed the new limit of 100 persons per venue (including graduands, guests, supervisors and other staff in attendance), and there will be strict access control.
- We have strict protocols in place re. masks, sanitisation, physical distancing, ventilation, etc., and we were able to successfully enforce these on Day 1 of our ceremonies today.
We therefore decided to proceed with the eight ceremonies planned for Tuesday, 15 and Wednesday, 16 December 2020 (find schedule here).
To all those who have RSVPed, indicating that they will be attending:
- You are none-the-less welcome to cancel if you do not feel comfortable attending despite this reassurance. Please do so by sending an email to the Deputy Registrar, Mr Ashmind Daniels, email@example.com
- In fact, if you suffer from a co-morbidity or have recently been exposed to COVID-19 or are at risk for any other reason, you might want to reconsider your attendance.
If you intend attending, please take note of the following:
- You will be required to go through COVID-19 screening before being allowed to enter the venue. Please arrive well ahead of the scheduled time.
- It is mandatory to wear a mask at all times and to maintain a distance of 1,5 m from other persons.
- No food may be brought into or consumed in the Endler Hall or foyer of the building. Only water is permitted inside the venue.
- Attendees will be allocated a specific seat. Please do not move or change seats, as the seating record and history will be used in case any potential contact tracing becomes necessary.
- At the conclusion of the ceremony, please exit the venue and the building as swiftly as possible to avoid congestion in the foyer and in order for cleaning and sanitising with a view to the next ceremony may commence as soon as possible. If you want to take photographs or meet with friends or family, please do so outside, still maintaining COVID-19 protocols.
- Kindly ensure that you take along your graduation booklet any waste items such as water bottles, tissues, etc. when you exit the venue. Please utilise the waste disposal bags provided.
“We are confident that we will be able to continue hosting safe ceremonies during the next two days, in compliance with the new COVID-19 regulations, and look forward to welcoming you at these special events," SU Registrar Dr Ronel Retief said.