- Apply the Trace & Save system of sustainable agriculture, which uses the SWAN (soil, water, atmosphere and nutrients) system, biodiversity conservation; and people and animal welfare to measure and assess sustainability on farms.
- Collect data, analyze and interpret various sustainability indicators on dairy farms, using the Trace & Save system.
- Provide feedback on sustainability indicators and assist farmers to continually improve their sustainability strategy.
- Communicate, using various platforms (social media, blogs, popular articles, presentations), to farmers and other interested parties about sustainable agriculture and the benefits of adopting sustainable practices.
- Communicate, using various platforms (social media, blogs), to consumers of dairy products the importance and relevance of sustainable agriculture.
Water specific responsibilities
- Continual research and development of water efficiency indices for farmer water usage.
- Develop a water footprint for farmers.
- Find creative ways to record and measure water usage on farms.
- Research the importance of soil quality on water irrigation efficiency and overall effect on the environment.
- Learn and improve knowledge on water irrigation scheduling through research, studying and courses.
- Test water quality (both irrigation and drinking water) and evaluate effect on the environment, irrigation efficiency and animal health.
- Test effluent water, farmer efficiency of usage, effect on GHG emissions and pollution of water sources.
- Become an expert on water usage, irrigation laws and regulations.
- Become an expert on effluent laws and regulations.
- Understand and research the effect of water quality, dairy effluent, and nutrients brought onto farm, on groundwater and streams. And role soil quality/health, plays in this.
- Further your studies to become a scientist showing the connection between soil hydrology, soil health/texture/structure, and water efficiency. As well as effect on environment.
- Lead the sustainability team in all water related research, and keep the team informed/knowledgeable and up to date with all water aspects.
Education and core skills required
Honors/Master's degree in soil science and/or agronomy and/or environmental science, with a preferred focus in water usage and/or hydrology.