What is the focus of this course?
This online short course, presented by the Communication Lab of the Language Centre, will equip you with tools and the latest techniques to write confidently and effectively on different social media platforms.
In this course we will look at:
- writing for conventional media, such as newspapers and radio
- writing for social media – Twitter, Facebook, Reddit and Instagram
- writing press releases and promotional material
- discussions around ethics in journalism
- writing blogs and inhouse publications
- basic editing principles and tools
After the course, you will:
- understand the importance of telling your story well, in language that is engaging and easy to understand
- learn to embrace a practical writing style and rely on effective correspondence strategies and techniques
- have an overview of ethical issues, and understand the importance of checking facts, summarising and accuracy
- be equipped to identify the important facts and write a story that reflects well on your company
Who is the presenter?
Barbara Hathorn is an experienced language practitioner with a background in journalism, teaching, linguistics, editing and writing. She is a full member of the Professional Editors' Guild (PEG) in South Africa. Barbara's gentle approach is ideal for guiding an audience to cultivate proper business writing practices.
Who should attend and what are the career benefits?
If your job demands writing press or print-media releases, promotional material, publications and blogs, then this course is your answer!
To ensure optimal learning, we limit the number of participants. The online live sessions are complemented by online learning, and all aspects of the course are assessed.
You will need a computer that can run our online learning platforms (MS Teams and SUNOnline) and access to a stable internet connection to connect to the online live sessions. You should also be able to create electronic documents.
This is not an entry-level course and a tertiary background in journalism or experience working in this field is highly recommended.
When and how will this short course take place?
Our hybrid courses combine online live sessions, which are facilitated by the course presenter, with self-directed online learning.
This course opens before the first online live session and closes well after the last online live session. This allows enough time for you to activate your SUNOnline presence before the live sessions start, and to complete and upload all your tasks, quizzes, and assignments before the course closing date.
(opening and closing dates)
|Online live sessions |
(9:00 to 11:00)
|Course 1: ||11 June to 27 August||2, 9, 16, 23 and 30 July, and 6 August||11 June|
During this course, you will spend your time as follows (this may vary for individuals):
- 1 online live session per week of 2 hours each
- ±5 hours per week of self-paced reading and completing tasks, quizzes, activities and assignments
What is the cost?
The course fee is R4 240, which includes course material, assessments, online live sessions with your presenter and access to the online platforms.
Please note that all course fees are due before the course starts, and that we will present this course only when a minimum of ten paid candidates have confirmed attendance.
To enrol, please click on this link: http: //bit.ly/2021_MEDIA_Infopage
Contact Michelle Pieters at firstname.lastname@example.org or 021 808 2812 for more details.
You could also discuss your specific short-course and development needs with us. Enquire about our available short courses, course dates and options for tailor-making a course.