The Beyers Naudé Centre for Public Theology
An official Centre of the Faculty of Theology at the University of Stellenbosch for Research and Service to the Christian community of South Africa on public affairs.
1. The Beyers Naudé Centre for Public Theology is a University Centre for research and community interaction on the theme of faith and public life
2. The Centre reflects upon the role of theology in the publics and environments of academic life, churches and broader society
3. The Centre fulfils its task in the following modes:
3.1 Facilitation of interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary discussion on a variety of public issues; 3.2 Mediation of conflicting positions on contentious public issues; 3.3 Enabling and empowerment of faith communities, academic role-players and institutions in various spheres of broader society.
4. The Centre focuses on the following sets of related themes:
4.1 Human dignity and human rights; 4.2 Justice, peace and the integrity of creation in global contexts; 4.3 Faith and social identity; 4.4 Responsible citizenship
5. The Centre offers various programmes in a variety of modes:
* Lunch-time lectures
* Public lectures
* An annual prestigious Beyers Naudé Lecture
6. The Centre offers a variety of publications in the field of Public Theology