Admission and selection requirements
Please familiarise yourself with the Stellenbosch University Admissions Policy and our Terms and Conditions for new applications.
What are the minimum academic requirements for an NSC (National Senior Certificate) Pass?
In order to obtain a NSC pass in your Gr12 year, you must have a minimum of 7 subjects. Of these 7 subjects, you are required to have:
- Two (2) South African languages;
- Mathematics or Mathematics Literacy (1);
- Three (3) 20-credit subjects and;
- Life Orientation (1).
Furthermore, you have to pass with at least:
- 40% minimum for your Home Language;
- 40% for two other subjects and;
- 30% for two other subjects one of which must be an official language at First Additional or Home Language level and;
- 20% in the final subject
*Life Orientation will not be considered as part of your average.
What are the minimum academic requirements for a Bachelor's degree?
- 30% for a South African Language of Learning and Teaching (English or Afrikaans), and
- an achievement rating of 4 (50% - 59%) in four 20-credit subjects.
How do we calculate your National Senior Certificate average?
We use the highest score in Language of Learning and Teaching (Eng or Afr) + (5 x best results in 20-credit subjects excluding Life Orientation, Advanced Mathematics, Mathematics 3 and any other non NSC subject s). The total is then divided by 6.
How do we assess international qualifications?
- We use the final school results from International Curriculum (Cambridge International, International Baccalaureate, etc.), including School of Tomorrow.
- Click here for the minimum requirements for international curricula. (Cambridge A-levels, AS-levels, GCSE/IGCSE/O-levels; IB Diploma; American School and Abitur)
- Also, meet further requirements specific to the programme(s) of your choice as set out in the programme outlines under the various Faculties.
What are the basic admission requirements to study at Stellenbosch University?
What are the Faculty Selection Guidelines
Large numbers of prospective students apply for our programmes. Unfortunately, we can accept only a limited number of students. Even though you may meet the admission requirements of a programme, you are not guaranteed admission to the programme of your choice.
Arts and Social Sciences (please note that this document is under review, and will be finalised by 29 May 2023)
Economic and Management Sciences
Education (Foundation Phase)
Education (Intermediate Phase)
Medicine and Health Sciences
- Speech-Language Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
For further enquiries:
Tel.: 021 808 9111