- To foster a culture of scientific research, critical thinking and scientific debate;
- To produce well trained graduates who can successfully be employed within the food industry and are sought after for their, knowledge, creativity and critical thinking, and;
- To cultivate education and research that is relevant to the needs of the food industry, the consumer and the environment.
The reason for existence of the Department of Food Science, Stellenbosch University is:
- to be a nationally and internationally competitive centre of excellence in Food Science;
- to supply, through visionary education and innovative research, the South African food industry with cutting-edge technology, knowledge and environmentally friendly products and practices, as well as well trained role players;
- to implement the application of sound scientific and environmental principles.