The PGO Overseas Conference Grant (OCG) is a supplementary award to attend an international conference outside of South Africa to present a paper or poster. Due to COVID-19 disruptions, applicants can also apply to take place in virtual conferences. NB only valid costs will be covered.
• Closing date 1 December of the prior year for attendance taking place between January – April following year.
• Closing date 1 March for attendance taking place between May-August.
• Closing date 1 July for September – December.
1. For full-time registered PhD students in their 3rd year. A full-time student is classified as one who works for remuneration for less than 15 hours per week (if at all) over a period of 10 months of a given calendar year.
2. The support should supplement grants provided by other sources (e.g. Dean's fund), as this award should not exceed 50% of the total budget to a maximum of R15, 000.
3. The applicant should submit proof of the acceptance of the presentation by the conference organizers.
4. An applicant will only be eligible for a grant once during his/her postgraduate studies.
5. Preference will be given to:
- Applicants with no funding from other grant schemes (e.g. Focus Areas, Thuthuka, capacity development, industrial contracts).
- Applicants invited to deliver oral presentations.
- Applicants who have not attended other international conferences abroad during the past two years.
If more than one applicant from the same Department applies for this support to attend the same conference, only one award will be given to the Department, and funding could be awarded at the discretion of the Dean and relevant Chair, either to one of the applicants, or divided among applicants.
- A scanned version of the application form with signatures and the required CV must be submitted electronically to Nugent Lewis (email@example.com)
- Only applications for the relevant award cycle will be considered (see dates of the award cycles and corresponding closing dates on the application form).
- The applicant must ensure that the application form is complete, with all the required documents attached. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Please note that the awards are made on a competitive basis and that limited funding is available
Application documents (2021)
PGO OCG 2020-21 Terms and conditions.pdf
PGO OCG Application 2021 (001).doc
PGO OCG Report 2021.doc
Back to Homepage