UKWANDA CENTRE FOR RURAL HEALTH
VISION AND MISSION
Ukwanda CRH will be an exemplary champion for advancing rural health, locally and globally.
As an academic centre of Stellenbosch University (SU), Ukwanda CRH’s focus is on making a difference to rural health care through empowering students, health workers and communities for wellness.
Ukwanda CRH does this by:
- providing transformative and contextualized training for students at all levels, in response to the needs of rural populations;
- bringing together communities, students and staff motivated by passion, care and hope to respond to society’s needs;
- undertaking relevant and socially accountable research in collaboration with partners;
- engaging constantly with the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences (FMHS) and the broader University to ensure that equity for rural communities remains an important focus; and
- being a resource and model of innovation for other institutions in Africa, and beyond.
Ukwanda CRH is founded on and guided by the value system of the FMHS, abbreviated as ICARE2, as depicted in Figure 1.
Figure 1: Value system Of the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences
Practically Ukwanda will: