Research In Progress
Current ongoing multi-program research projects being carried out by Ukwanda teams:
- Longitudinal impact study of the development of Upington as a training site.
- A cross sectional study of Rural Clinical school graduates from 2011-2018.
- A 5-year cohort study to determine the influence of training environment on intentions to practice in rural or urban environments.
- Obtaining informed consent from patients for contextual visits conducted by undergraduate health science students: A pilot study to investigate the feasibility of using comic contracts in a community in the Western Cape, South Africa
- An analysis of Community Service exit planning for rehabilitation professionals in South Africa.
In addition to self-funded and self-initiated research projects within Ukwanda, the following research was ongoing with support from the Fund for Innovation and Research into Learning and Teaching (FIRLT)
- The use of distance assessments on the distributed platform to ensure optimal use of resources. Grant holder: JF Coetzee
- Initiating an Evaluation to determine the influence of the Training Environment on future practice (Tracking Study) Grant holder: ID Couper
- Development of a new clinical learning site for undergraduate health sciences education in Upington. Grant holder: CR Reardon