Strategic Research Fund
Established in 2019, the purpose of the Ukwanda Strategic Research Fund (SRF) is to stimulate, support and fund research within the Ukwanda CRH as well as innovative and scholarly projects in rural health care, including sustainable rural development, clinical practice, health sciences education, community partnerships and health systems research, more broadly in Stellenbosch University. The Ukwanda SRF aims to support undergraduate, postgraduate and staff projects and research that will further the development of a strong scientific body of evidence in the field of rural health, with a particular focus on the following areas:
- Rural Health Professions Education
- Collaborative care
- Rural child and family health
- Clinical research in regional and district settings
- Research projects may be for degree or non-degree purposes.
A further aim of the Fund is to stimulate research collaboration between Ukwanda CRH and other Stellenbosch University entities.
In 2020 two researchers in the FMHS were awarded R 30 000.00 each towards their research:
- Bridging the gap between hospital and home – experiences and outcomes of stroke survivors admitted at an Intermediate Care Facility in the Cape Winelands District. Ms C Rangolie (Centre for Disability and Rehabilitation Studies)
- Knowledge, attitude and perception towards lower limb amputation among adults living with diabetes in a rural community of the Eastern Cape Province, South Africa. Dr E Owolabi (Centre for Global Surgery)