In taking up the challenge in starting off a research chair, the first priority was to satisfy the immediate requirements of PRASA Engineering. This entailed initiating and carrying out projects of a practical nature.
In addition to the projects, the PRASA Chair was able to produce various research outputs, thereby creating the start of an academic research footprint. Furthermore, these outputs were then made ready to be converted into practical solutions to the benefit of PRASA.
The following outputs were produced since the establishment of the PRASA Chair:
1. Journal Publications
Awaiting SAJIE publications.
2. Postgraduate Students
The following postgraduate students received their degrees through the sponsorship of PRASA:
SCHOONWINKEL S. A Risk and Cost Management Model for Changes during the Construction Phase of Engineering Projects. Master of Science in Industrial Engineering Thesis, December 2011.
ROMMELSPACHER KO. The Recommendation and Validation of an appropriate Physical Asset Management Policy for PRASA;s Metrorail Division. Master of Science in Industrial Engineering Thesis, March 2012.
VAN HEERDEN J. Reducing Risk in Large Scale Projects: Investigating the Integration of Systems Engineering Principles into Project Management. Master of Science in Industrial Engineering Thesis, March 2013.
TENDAYI TG. An Investigation into the Applicability of Lean Thinking in an Operational Maintenance Environment. Master of Science in Industrial Engineering Thesis, December 2013.
GEYER RW. Value-Adding Business Process Modelling: Determining the Suitability of a Business Process Modelling Technique for a Given Application. Master of Science in Engineering Management Thesis, December 2013.
JIDAYI YM. Reliability Improvement of Railway Infrastructure. Master of Engineering in Engineering Management Thesis, March 2015.
McNAUGHT MD. A Risk-reliability Comparison of Track Sections in the Passenger Railway Industry, December 2015
UMEH N. Integration of Lean Principles into Maintenance Supply Chains.
3. Research Conferences
Attending conferences and delivering papers are a recognised way of exchanging ideas and creating networks. The following papers were delivered by PRASA Chair engineers:
- FOURIE CJ, TENDAYI, TG. A Lean Maintenance Supply Chain Framework for Rolling Stock Maintenance: A Case Study. Proceedings of the 42nd International Conference on Computers and Industrial Engineering, CTICC, Cape Town, South Africa, July 2012.
- CONRADIE, PDF, TREURNICHT, N. Exploring Critical Failure Modes in the Rail Environment and the Consequential Costs of Unplanned Maintenance. Proceedings of the 42nd International Conference on Computers and Industrial Engineering, CTICC, Cape Town, South Africa, July 2012.
- FOURIE CJ, ROMMELSPACHER KO. The Recommendation and Validation of an Appropriate Physical Asset Management Policy for PRASA's Metrorail Division. Proceedings of the 25th International Conference of the South African Institute for Industrial Engineering (SAIIE), Spier Estate, Stellenbosch, South Africa, July 2013.
- FOURIE CJ, TENDAYI TG. The Combined AHP-QFD Approach and its use in Lean Maintenance. Proceedings of the 25th International Conference of the South African Institute for Industrial Engineering (SAIIE), Spier Estate, Stellenbosch, South Africa, July 2013.
- FOURIE CJ. Facility planning and layout design of a railway station. Proceedings of CORE2014 Conference on Railway Excellence, Railway Technical Society of Australasia, Adelaide Convention Centre, Adelaide, South Australia, May 2014.
- FOURIE CJ, ROMMELSPACHER KO, The systematic energy management of transport facilities for a holistic reduction of greenhouse emissions. Proceedings of COMPRAIL 2014 - Conference on Railway Engineering Design and Operation, WIT Press, Rome, Italy, June 2014.
- FOURIE CJ, McNAUGHT MD, Using TQI to quantify the reliability of a section of Perway. Proceedings of CIRP 25th Design Conference: Innovation Product Creation, Elsevier: ScienceDirect. Haifa, Israel, March 2015.
- FOURIE CJ, TENDAYI TG, A life cycle costing framework for effective maintenance management in a rolling stock environment. Proceedings of the XXI Urban Transport Conference, WIT Press, Valencia, Spain, June 2015.