Globally and especially in Africa, good governance and service delivery challenges are complex and in need of visionary leadership to chart innovative ways forward. The School of Public Leadership (SPL) at Stellenbosch University (SU) provides solutions through unique research, graduate, postgraduate and executive programmes adding public value for the public good within a global and African context.
The Centre for Local Governance (CLG) at the School of Public Leadership of Stellenbosch University facilitates teaching and research, development and renders advisory services in the broad field of good governance, leadership and general management for the purpose of enhancing local government service delivery in South Africa. The work of the Centre includes research, community interaction and training in matters relating to local government. Specifically the objectives of the centre is to
- Undertake research in the fields of governance for local service delivery.
- Undertake research on community development.
- Serve as a knowledge hub or repository of data and good practices in local governance.
- Develop custom made training programmes for local service delivery practitioners.
- Provide professional development opportunities for local service delivery practitioners.
- Develop innovative approaches to the challenges faced in local service delivery.
Within these objectives, the centre annual launches initiatives to provide opportunity for academics and practitioners to learn by means of comparative study. In 2015, 11 representatives visited Northern Italy from 8 – 19 June 2015 with the theme Innovation in Local Governance.
The 2015 CLG tour group comprised academics from the School of Public Leadership, representatives from the Western Cape Provincial Treasury and the Western Cape Department of Local Government and representatives from the Saldanha Bay Municipality. The names and affiliation of delegates were:
- Prof Johan Burger: Director SPL
- Dr Babette Rabie: Senior lecturer SPL
- Ms Adéle Burger: Coordinator Research SPL
- Mr Jaco Rabie: Alumnus SPL
- Mr Zakariya Hoosain (Head of Department, WC Treasury)
- Mr Harry Malila (Deputy Director General, WC Treasury)
- Ms Marcia Korsten (Chief Director: Public Policy Services, WC Treasury)
- Mr Graham Paulse (WC Department of Local Government)
- Mr Kosie Haarhoff (WC Department of Local Government)
- Mr Louis Scheepers (Municipal Manager: Saldanha Bay Municipality)
- Mr Abé du Plessis (Office of the Municipal Manager: Saldanha Bay Municipality)
See attached documents for the full report on the study tour (scroll to the right hand side for all documents):