The Faculty of Economic and Management Sciences' call for applications under Category B of the Stellenbosch University Postgraduate Scholarship Programme (SU PSP) is open from the 16th of December 2020 to 15 January 2021 and will recruit for full-time PhD scholarship positions, funded to a maximum of R150 000 per year from 2021 to 2023.
The point of departure for the allocation of the PSP awards is the promotion and support of the institutional research project; and the strengthening of the institution's postgraduate pipeline. Category B of the SU PSP specifically aims to fund an intake of PhD candidates within strategic research areas prioritised by the faculty.
Candidates must meet the following minimum criteria to be considered for a scholarship:
- A candidate must meet the minimum criteria for admission to a PhD at Stellenbosch University. This requires a master's degree in the relevant discipline or, in exceptional circumstances, an equivalent qualification.
- Candidates must have achieved a grade of 65% in their master's programmes.
- Only applications in one of the Faculty's Strategic Research Themes will be considered.
- All applicants who meet the above criteria will be considered.
Application process – SU PSP Strategic Scholarships
Follow these steps to apply for the 2021 intake:
- Read the criteria for eligibility stated above.
- Download and fill in the Application form
- You will be required to write a letter motivating your suitability for the scholarship (maximum length: one A4 page), as well as a research concept note (no maximum length) on a selected research topic or problem which you intend to study in the course of your doctoral programme. These should be completed on the application form in the relevant sections.
- Please consult the Strategic Research Themes to guide you in choosing a research topic. Only applications within the listed research themes will be accepted.
- Please note that scholarships can only be awarded where the Faculty is able to appoint a suitable supervisor for the topic to be studied.
- Submission of an application does not guarantee entry. There are limited scholarships available and awards are made on a competitive basis; and the faculty reserves the right to not make awards.
- The final scholarship awards are made by the Stellenbosch University Postgraduate Office to successful applicants recommended by the faculty.
- Please ensure that your three references are informed that their referee letters, stating your capability to complete doctoral studies, should be sent directly to the Graduate School via email (GEM@sun.ac.za) on or before 15 January 2021.
- Send your completed application form electronically to: GEM@sun.ac.za
Due to the large number of applications received, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. If you have not received communication from the Graduate School Office by the 15th of February 2021, the application should be considered as unsuccessful.
Graduate School Office contact details