The Graduate School of Economic and Management Sciences (GEM), a unit in the Dean's office, is responsible for the central administration of the PhD programmes of the Faculty of Economic and management Sciences.
The objectives of the Graduate School are to:
- Provide partially structured support to the PhD programmes of the Faculty of Economic and Management Sciences
- To provide and administer scholarships that enable full-time, residential doctoral studies across all the departments of the Faculty.
- Enhance the quality of experience for doctoral candidates of the faculty by providing access to training opportunities (including an annual orientation programme), space for cohort based interaction and a progress monitoring platform that candidates can use to manage the flow of their research project in collaboration with their academic supervisors.
- Provide centralized, accessible information on the processes and regulations relevant to doctoral studies to departments, academic supervisors and doctoral candidates
- Broaden access to doctoral education in economic and management sciences at Stellenbosch University, and
- Continuously develop and provide effective support structures for PhD studies within the Faculty.