Acting head: Division of Cardiology
Other Medical Staff
- Prof Anton Doubell - Emeritus Professor
- Dr P Herbst: Consultant Cardiologist –
- Dr A Pecoraro: Consultant Cardiologist –
- Dr Jane Moses: Consultant Cardiologist and Electrophysiologist –
- Dr L Joubert: Cardiology Fellow, Advanced Cardiac Imaging and Intervention
- Dr H Cyster: Medical Officer (echocardiography)
- Dr W Muller: Senior registrar in Cardiology
- Dr TJ John: Senior registrar in Cardiology
- Dr Z Ngubane: Senior registrar in Cardiology
- Dr T Chipamaunga: Senior registrar in Cardiology
- Dr J Doubell: Senior registrar in Cardiology
- Dr J Liebenberg: Senior registrar in Cardiology
In addition, we have four to five medical registrars and one emergency medicine registrar who rotate through the Division for periods of three to six months.
- Our team of medical technologists is led by Mr J Steyn.
- Nursing personnel in the coronary care unit, the cardiology catheterisation laboratory and outpatients are headed by Sr M Jones, Sr M Petersen and Sr N Gray respectively.
- Dr Luke Hunter: PhD student
- Dr P Robbertse: PhD student
- Dr A Talle: PhD student
- Dr K Hassan: PhD student
- Dr E Ngarande: Research Coordinator
Special Interests / Research Projects
- Rheumatic Heart Disease
- Valvular disease, particularly percutaneous treatment
- Infective endocarditis
- Pericardial disease
- HIV and the heart
- Cardiac imaging
SUNHEART is a centre of Stellenbosch University seated within the Division of Cardiology that generates funds to promote cardiology training and research and to extend cardiac services to previously disadvantaged communities. Our business plan is built on project-specific funding and we invest in infrastructure, human resources and an outreach programme to enable us to deliver cost-effective service, train more health care workers and improve research output. The SUNHEART motto is “Advanced cardiac care for all”.
The SUNHEART outreach programme is structured as a Hub-and-Spoke model, the hub being Tygerberg Hospital, reaching out to the satellite centres established at Helderberg Hospital, Karl Bremer Hospital, Khayelitsha Hospital, Paarl Hospital and Worcester Hospital.