Welcome to the Division of Endocrinology at Stellenbosch University and Tygerberg Hospital
The division functions as a subspecialist training and research centre and forms an integral part of the Department of Medicine. It is a leader in South Africa in osteoporosis, diabetes and general endocrinology management and research.
The division is composed of:
» Clinical Endocrinology
» Stephen Hough laboratory for basic science research
- The "Endocrine Unit" was established over 40 years ago.
- Professor Jan de V Lochner was instrumental in its concept and formation.
- Ward A10 originally comprised of the Metabolic Unit & the Endocrine Laboratories, Endocrine outpatients opened in 1976.
- Professor Stephen Hough was the first trained endocrinologist (USA) to head the unit from the mid 1980's until 2006.
- He established the Metabolic Bone Unit and in 1989 the 1st dual X-ray absorptiometry scanner (DXA) for bone mineral density in South Africa was installed.
- The bone lab is the only lab in South Africa able to process undecalcifiedbone biopsies.